DNS cannot be installed on this domain controller

We have a new Server 2012R2 machine. Getting an error after trying to promote to domain controller. I've added the roles of Active Directory Sites and Services, AD users and computers, AD domains and trusts and DNS. But I get the error, "DNS cannot be installed on this domain controller because this domain does not host DNS." We absolutely use DNS on our domain. But this halts the install and I can't go any further in the server promotion. I've researched this and I haven't found a situation that matches ours exactly. Some say to run dcpromo from a cmd prompt but that has gone away in 2012R2. We only have one other DC it is a Windows Server 2008 Standard machine. I have verified that it has the DNS role.



Have you looked at this Microsoft TID?

http://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2002584

-saige-



Have you looked at this Microsoft TID?

http://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2002584

-saige-



Yes I have. I tried the commands listed. They didn't help.



Could you provide the output for a DCDIAG?

-saige-



I would check to make sure you can reach the extant DCs from this new machine. It may be there's a networking/firewall issue that's preventing this new DC from contacting DNS.



Performing initial setup:Trying to find home server...
***Error: *servername* is not a Directory Server. Must specify /s:Server> or /n: or nothing to use the local machine.
ERROR: Could not find home server.

Share this

Related Posts

There was an error in this gadget