New-but-basic Windows 8 Desktop PC - what would be a good boost in graphics performance?

My work Windows 8.1 Pro desktop PC is fairly basic. It isn't the most powerful but I have plans to use it for years. I am wondering if I can get a noticable boost in graphics performance with a graphics card.

Summary
I do NO gaming.

I use Office programs, occasionally program in Access or MySQL, do research online a lot, stream videos, and a couple times a year edit movie clips with Movie Maker. Not the most sophisticated graphics!

Here's the thing: I built my PC with some new stuff: motherboard, CPU, RAM. I brought two SATA3 HDDs with me, as well as my wireless keyboard, mouse & 23" HD monitor. I also installed an older PCIe 2.0 graphics card with 1 GB DDR2 RAM.

I looked at benchmarks for graphics at passmark.com and the integrated Intel HD 4400 was rated higher than the GeForce GT 220 card.

Details
Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
Intel Core i3-4150 CPU
Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H motherboard
(2) WD SATA3 HDDs, 1 TB each
Crucial Ballistix 2x4 GB PC3-10700 DDR3 RAM
Samsung Syncmaster 2233 1920x1080 monitor
Antec Earthwatts 500W PSU

Is there a decent graphics card for less than $100 to boost my performance? Or would I be better off using the integrated graphics - and perhaps using less energy?

Note - at some point, I plan on installing an SSD at least big enough for Win8/10. This has been a budget build, converting from a previous PC; not going to break the bank on any components.



you can try this graphics card, for $99 at tigerdirect.com independent grahics with their own processor always boost performance. However you did mention that it was an older card.

XFX Radeon R7 250 Video Card - 1GB GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0 (x8), Low Profile - R7-250A-ZLF4



you can try this graphics card, for $99 at tigerdirect.com independent grahics with their own processor always boost performance. However you did mention that it was an older card.

XFX Radeon R7 250 Video Card - 1GB GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0 (x8), Low Profile - R7-250A-ZLF4



I like the features - 1 GB GDDR5, PCIe 3.0, the price is very reasonable. But when I compare it against my old card as well as the integrated Intel,the Intel shows higher 2D graphics. Is this really possible? I went to passmark.com for the comparison:
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=2643&cmp[]=2768&cmp[]=72

And I found an MSI AMD Radeon R7 250X 2GB GDDR5 - would twice the GDDR5 be better?



try another benchmark



?? I don't know of another. Do you?



I never understood why people use benchmark, I never did and I never will use it.

I purchase computer parts based on use of the computer, for example if I was still editing photos and videos I would buy the above card, along with a motherboard with 2600fsb memory 2000fsb DDR3L or 4 somewhere around 8-16 gb ram.
what you need is memory and a good graphics card that process its own rendering. If you were rendering block buster movies then the card you need is not on the market.

benchmark means nothing.

Share this

Related Posts

There was an error in this gadget