Share vs NTFS rights

It was my understanding that if I created a shared folder and gave everyone read rights then had NTFS rights on the folders inside the share that users would only be able to see/access the folders inside the share that they had NTFS rights to. It appears share rights are overriding NTFS rights.

Physical location
c:usershare security System, domain admins and administrators have full control

Share
usersshare security everyone has read

Folders
c:usershareuser1 admins and user1 have NTFS access
c:usershareuser2 admins and user2 have NTFS access

However user 1 can access user2 data and user2 can access user1 data

What I want is everyone to see the share and only the folders they have access to within the share. I missing something simple but don't see it



Share permissions should trump folder permissions.

Do user1 and user2 fall under any other groups?

Some screenshots of the permissions groups on each folder would be really helpful.



Share permissions should trump folder permissions.

Do user1 and user2 fall under any other groups?

Some screenshots of the permissions groups on each folder would be really helpful.



No other groups are involved, assume the folder attached is user1 -- User2 can read this folder even though they do not have NTFS rights to the folder. I don't want them to be able to see the other users folder much less open it



maybe I'm going at this the wrong what here's what I want to do

everyone should be able to see usershare folder but only be able to see the folders below that that they have access to. I would prefer to have a share to the top folder. What's the best what to accomplish this



What operating system is the server and what are the Forest/Domain functional levels?

-saige-



SBS2011 file server. just one domain. I know I had this working at one time

Share this

Related Posts

There was an error in this gadget