Virtualizing WDS Server role into VMware in the data center

Hi All,

I'd like to virtualize the existing WDS Server 2012 Physical server as VMware VM (new server running 2012 R2) in the data center, so my question is that what other thing should I need to know or consider ?

The workstations are all in the Head Office site while the VM infrastructure is on the Data Center, running Dark Fibre 1 GBps.

Can I specify the workstation image into the NAS in the Head Office while the WDS Server 2012 R2 VM is on the Data Center to deploy to the Head Office workstation ?

Thanks,



You wouldn't be able to do this with WDS alone. You will need to use Microsoft Deployment Toolkit and DFS to distribute images to branch offices. Your best bet would be to search for

Using MDT with WDS
Setting up DFS for MDT

I would also take a look at this blog. It is a little dated but once you get a good understanding of how it all comes together, you should be good.

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles-tutorials/windows-7/Deploying-Windows-7-Part1.html



You wouldn't be able to do this with WDS alone. You will need to use Microsoft Deployment Toolkit and DFS to distribute images to branch offices. Your best bet would be to search for

Using MDT with WDS
Setting up DFS for MDT

I would also take a look at this blog. It is a little dated but once you get a good understanding of how it all comes together, you should be good.

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles-tutorials/windows-7/Deploying-Windows-7-Part1.html



ok, apologize in advance because I'm not familiar with all of these technologies. This was simply a task that I take in my new company managing legacy Win 2012 WDS physical box.

So in this case Apart from just deploying Win 2012 R2 VM with WDS role enabled, I need to have another server running as MDT ?



Virtualising WDS isn't going to cause you any issues, I have done this and I have also done it with MDT also.

Its difficult to know from your question whether you are asking if it is ok to virtualise the role or whether you want clarification on your WDS deployment....



Virtualizing the role isnt the issue. What you are wanting to do is host the WDS server at one physical location and access images that are stored at another physical location. The only way to do that is through MDT. WDS does not support network paths, DFS, or anything besides local image hosting. Unless something changed recently.



I appreciate that isn't an issue, but that is the clarification asked in the first part of the question - there are essentially two questions here.

Can I virtualise this role?

And

What are the implications of running this role if it is not running on the same site as the workstations? (which I believe is the second question)

@ITSystemEngineer - Would I be right in assuming that the current physical WDS server is on the same site as the workstations? As Joshua correctly states, this would require the MDT role which can be run on your WDS server also.

Share this

Related Posts

There was an error in this gadget