Which is best version of Windows 7 in dual-boot with Ubuntu 14.04 for very small business

I have six (6) PCs in my very small scientific consulting business. My primary OS is Linux (Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit) and all but one PC (home-built based on Intel i7-4770K processor) are dual-boot Ubuntu 14,04/Windows XP Pro SP3. The XP is for a couple of legacy applications for which there is no satisfactory Linux-based substitute. I understand that what I like need is a fully-licensed copy with support that I can put on my PC and get Microsoft support, if necessary. When I have gone on the Internet looking at pricing, it appears that there are several different version of Win 7 pro on sale. Advice from the experts would be most appreciated.

Thank you,

John



For any business use, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit is the correct choice. Ultimate and Enterprise have features I do not need. I used Windows 7 Pro 64-bit for about 5 years before moving on to Windows 8 Pro 64-bit.

Also consider VMware Workstation and the ability to run both system simultaneously. I do the latter.

In either case use Windows 7 Pro.



For any business use, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit is the correct choice. Ultimate and Enterprise have features I do not need. I used Windows 7 Pro 64-bit for about 5 years before moving on to Windows 8 Pro 64-bit.

Also consider VMware Workstation and the ability to run both system simultaneously. I do the latter.

In either case use Windows 7 Pro.



I agree. Never go for any home version of Windows. Always at least go for the professional version. Ultimate is probably not necessary, and Enterprise is only available as a Volume License anyway, so that will not be an option.



Windows 7 Pro gives you the ability to run Windows XP mode on it and thus XP applications on it.

See http://windows.microsoft.com/en-NZ/windows7/products/features/windows-xp-mode

See http://windows.microsoft.com/en-NZ/windows7/install-and-use-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7 for lots more information.

This is a legal copy of Windows XP that you download from Microsoft.

Note that you can't run XP mode on anything but Windows 7 so there is no upgrade path.

Windows 7 Pro is the best option as it enables networking support that the Home version does not.



Thank you very much for your assistance. I have already ordered a copy of Win 7 Pro 64-bit.

John



Good to hear and it should work well for you. I have a Windows 7 Pro virtual machine when I need it

Share this

Related Posts

There was an error in this gadget