Windows 8 Booting to Black Screen

I have not used my custom built computer for a few months due to moving. Before I moved it was working fine. I finally got the time to hook it up but when I turned it on, it was going very slow. The blue Windows 8 logo came up with the spinning bubbles at the bottom. I waited for about 10 min and it finally loaded the desk top background and very slowly loaded the desktop and programs. I restarted the computer and sense then the same the same thing happens but after the Windows 8 boot screen, the computer just goes to black. I am able to boot into Ubuntu, on the same computer, just fine and access the Windows 8 partition. Is there any way to fix this problem? I rather not have to reload windows :-(



Are you loading Ubuntu from the hard drive? or from a DVD. I have seen drives fail from months of inactivity. It is also possible, if the hard drive was causing an issue, that it further corrupted the operating system.

I can leave a virtual machine for months or even a year and it will always start correctly. Time does not matter.

So I think your machine had a hardware issue.



Are you loading Ubuntu from the hard drive? or from a DVD. I have seen drives fail from months of inactivity. It is also possible, if the hard drive was causing an issue, that it further corrupted the operating system.

I can leave a virtual machine for months or even a year and it will always start correctly. Time does not matter.

So I think your machine had a hardware issue.



Ubuntu is on the same SSD as the Windows 8 partition. Furthermore all hardware tests come back with noting wrong and I can freely access the Windows 8 partition from within Ubuntu with out any problems.



Restart it and watch the disk LED (if present) while the screen is black - is there any disk activity? Leave it on like this at least for minutes.



There is disk activity, a lot of it. The disk light is on non-stop the entire time.



If it was a physical disk I'd say defrag it, but since you said it is on an SSD that is not applicable.

Check under the hood and make sure all the connections are tight. Remove and reseat the memory. I would also try safe mode and see if that makes it any better. Could be a damaged or corrupt file somewhere.

Share this

Related Posts

There was an error in this gadget