Add new guest operating system in VMWare for Windows Server 2012

We currently run VMware version 4.1. We will be updating it over the summer. We have a network with very old Windows Server 2003 domain controllers. We are trying to add a Windows 2012 server to our network.

I have the ISO loaded. However, when I try to create the new virtual server, I get to the point where it asks to select the Guest Operating System to be loaded during installation. The selections are Windows, Linux, Novell, Solaris, or other. When I select Windows, the highest version in the drop down box is 2008. I tried using this, and the installation fails almost immediately. If I select other, it also fails. Is there a way to update so that it lists the new server version? I've attached an image of the selection screen.



Windows Server 2012 requires at least ESXi 5.0 U1.

see the HCL here

http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php

Select Guest OS from the drop down, and then select Windows Server 2012.

You will see it's only supported from ESXi 5.0 U1.

If you are using VMware vSphere 4.1 it's NOT SUPPORTED, and will not work.

I'm sorry, you will need to upgrade, it's not just the list, it's the Hypervisor has no support for the Windows OS.

You can see in my EE Article here how to install WIndows 2012 on ESXi 5.1!

Part 7: HOW TO: Create your first Windows Virtual Machine on a VMware vSphere Hypervisor 5.1 (ESXi 5.1) Host Server

Part 8: HOW TO: Install VMware Tools for Windows on a VMware Windows virtual machine on a VMware vSphere Hypervisor 5.1 (ESXi 5.1) Host Server



Windows Server 2012 requires at least ESXi 5.0 U1.

see the HCL here

http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php

Select Guest OS from the drop down, and then select Windows Server 2012.

You will see it's only supported from ESXi 5.0 U1.

If you are using VMware vSphere 4.1 it's NOT SUPPORTED, and will not work.

I'm sorry, you will need to upgrade, it's not just the list, it's the Hypervisor has no support for the Windows OS.

You can see in my EE Article here how to install WIndows 2012 on ESXi 5.1!

Part 7: HOW TO: Create your first Windows Virtual Machine on a VMware vSphere Hypervisor 5.1 (ESXi 5.1) Host Server

Part 8: HOW TO: Install VMware Tools for Windows on a VMware Windows virtual machine on a VMware vSphere Hypervisor 5.1 (ESXi 5.1) Host Server



Thanks. I can't believe I missed that.







Share this

Related Posts

There was an error in this gadget