Can't add Windows 2012 Std to SBS 2003 Domain after raising FFL

We have a client with a SBS 2003 domain/server that we are looking to migrate to Windows 2012 Std. I went ahead and raised the FFL to Server 2003, ran a repadmin /syncall, and checked the FFL on the SBS Server and the secondary Server 2003 DC offsite and they both show FFL as 2003. So this morning I go to promote one of the new Server 2012 machines to a domain controller and I get this error when I click NEXT after selecting "Add a domain controller to an existing domain". "Verification of Replica failed. The Forest Functional Level is Windows 2000. To install a Windows Server 2012 R2 domain or domain controller, the forest functional level must be Windows Server 2003 or newer."

I'm at a loss as Active Directory show the FFL as Windows Server 2003.



Are you absolutely sure you aren't confusing FFL and DFL (by far the most common mistake I see.) Some people dont even realize there is a difference, or that those are two separate things. *Both* must be raised. And I see no mention of you raising or checking the DFL.



Are you absolutely sure you aren't confusing FFL and DFL (by far the most common mistake I see.) Some people dont even realize there is a difference, or that those are two separate things. *Both* must be raised. And I see no mention of you raising or checking the DFL.



I'm a dope, I only raised the DFL not the FFL.



Shadowless127,

Per your request, I have opened up your question. "accepted solution prematurely."

Mr Wolfe
Community Support Moderator



What's the issue now?



For whatever reason after I confirmed the DFL and FFL were raised on both 2003 DC's, and even after running repadmin /syncall and restart the Windows 2012 server, it took me like 15-20min for the new server to detect it was the appropriate Functional Level to allow me to continue with the promotion.

All is fixed now, and I will be awarding you the solution.

Share this

Related Posts

There was an error in this gadget