Cant hibernate Thinkpad X220 with encrypted HDD : can sleep/shutdown

Previously I could Hibernate this X220 laptop (& remove its battery): my habit of conserving the battery energy
& to be able to resume back where I last work (my MS Office files that I edit half way), the pages in the browser
that I last browsed etc.

Ever since I let our corporate IT encrypts the HDD (with Mc Afee), when I tried to hibernate, it gave a message
(cant recall now but I can check later). It's a policy to encrypt using our corporate IT's McAfee so I can't
insist on encrypting using say Truecrypt or other methods.

I don't want to always shut down my laptop as I'll lose track of where I last did my works in the MS Office,
Outlook etc & to sleep, it will drain my battery that over the night, 50% out of 100% is gone (yes, my battery
is rather old).

Is there still a way to Hibernate it? If there's really no choice, I guess I'll have to let it 'Sleep' (so I must not
remove its battery as in Sleep mode, it still consumes energy)



Hello,
We'll need to see the error message first to help determine best course of action. Right now, McAfee is primary suspect as it was last software installed. Are there any other programs there were installed in addition to McAfee? How about any windows updates?



Hello,
We'll need to see the error message first to help determine best course of action. Right now, McAfee is primary suspect as it was last software installed. Are there any other programs there were installed in addition to McAfee? How about any windows updates?



The difficulty might deal with where the current state will be stored give the data is encrypted. Resuming from hibernation it does not go through the same process to load the key/authorize ...

Look at powercfg -h to see whether hibernation was disabled.
Use on to set it enabled. But be prepared that it might not be able to resume. Check with your IT whether hibernation disabling is part of the implementation of an encrypted drive.



unfortunately, it is a product limit or by design that hibernation No longer works once McAfee Endpoint Encryption is installed on your W7 computer.

please see below their official KB article.

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB65542



Bbao: I read that McAfee KB article as saying the opposite: that the hibernation technology used in Vista and Win7 can't be blocked by McAfee.



Agree with jmcg. The article deals with a feature available within Mcaffee settings that include the blocking of hibernation, but those settings do not apply to vista/windows 7.

The article is from 2013 which might no longer be of use for newer versions if any. I.e. Newer versions might have the requisite adjustment to now be able to contol those settings I.e. Disabling hibernation as policy.

Share this

Related Posts

There was an error in this gadget