Every executable on my Win 7's Desktop got associated with Notepad

I was opening a zipped putty file sent by a colleague who suggested to me to use
Notepad to open after unzipping.

I don't know what I've clicked or selected: now every single executables (MS outlook,
Chrome, IE, Google Docs, 7zip, putty, Broadband on Mobile, etc) are showing Notepad
icons & when I double-click on them, Notepad edits those executables & show their
contents (often containing garbage characters).

What can I do to "de-associate" the Notepad associations?

I'm on Win 7 Professional x64



It appears your colleague sent you malware. Putty works just fine. I use it.

Run your own antivirus application and do a full scan. Follow this by a scan using Malwarebytes.

When complete, open an admin command prompt and run SFC /SCANNOW. Allow to complete. Close out and now shut down the computer.

Start back up and test. Any improvement?



It appears your colleague sent you malware. Putty works just fine. I use it.

Run your own antivirus application and do a full scan. Follow this by a scan using Malwarebytes.

When complete, open an admin command prompt and run SFC /SCANNOW. Allow to complete. Close out and now shut down the computer.

Start back up and test. Any improvement?



Also try re-associating an executable with its proper application. Do this in Control Panel, Default Programs. Can you do this?



Try the following program: https://toolslib.net/downloads/finish/25/get/xEMX/
Click on "Tous" then click on "Restaurer". It should then restore every association listed and fix the problem.



You've probably just reset the default program to open .exe's with Notepad. If so re-associating the .exe extension with Lior's link above will fix this but if you just want to target .exe associations download and run the registry file here.

Just a note that Lior's link will download a file with an .scr extension. This is deliberate as, of course, if it downloaded as an .exe you wouldn't currently be able to run it :)



For sure it's not a virus because my laptop is up-to-date with Officescan AV
& Malwarebytes scan did not fix it.

Lior's utility is in a non-English language but I ran the .scr anyway & selected
.exe to restore (ie I click "Restaurer") & it actually edit using notepad the
file which shows up a garbaged file.

I've also tab to the button "Restaurer" & press to select it & it
edits the file again, showing a garbaged file

Share this

Related Posts

There was an error in this gadget