How do I find out what is keeping an application from closing in task manager?

Hello and thanks in advance.

I have a program which ocasionally stays open in task manager even though the User Interface has closed.
I then need to end the process before I can restart the program.

Im thinking that somthing is keeping the application open but don't know how to find out what.
Can sombody suggest a way of finding out what component is keeping the program from closing?

Any assistanc would be appreciated.

Chuck



Nickleback -
"occasional" problems are hard to fix.
Since you know the program which is "stuck" what happens if you shut this program down before you shut down the PC?
If I have misunderstood, perhaps some other program is causing the program of concern to "stick". Run Process Explorer to see what else is running.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653



Nickleback -
"occasional" problems are hard to fix.
Since you know the program which is "stuck" what happens if you shut this program down before you shut down the PC?
If I have misunderstood, perhaps some other program is causing the program of concern to "stick". Run Process Explorer to see what else is running.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653



what is occasionally? if it happens once a week, or month, it is not easily detectable
if it happens every day, you can make a list of the programs you used (opened) - this can help in determining the offending one
another thing that helps in such cases is a clean boot
run msconfig, select startup^tab
click on disable all
reboot to test

for services, you can do the same :select services tab, click on HIDE MS Services - then click on disable all
also reboot to test

if the problem is gone - add the programs or services in groups, or 1 by 1 to find the culprit



When i say occasionally I’m probably being generous, it’s more like 1 out of 3 runs. I think the problem is a component the program is calling. When you run it (without doing anything) and close it everything is fine. If I run it, get it to do a few tasks, then the problem can occur.

You have given me some ideas though, Maybe if I try to narrow down the tasks the program runs and record the results so I know what is running.

I was hopeing there was some tool that can tell me what components (dlls, maybe comm objects) a program is picking up, I can then break the problem down.

What do you think?



taskmanager can als help then



Thanks guys

Much appreciated.

Share this

Related Posts

There was an error in this gadget