I am using sbs 2008 and I receive the following error with windows backup.

This is an inter-mitten problem. It runs good for a few days and then fails. I can run a manual backup and it runs.
"The backup of the volume was stopped before the backup started running"
a volume shadow copy service operation failed. Detailed error: the volume shadow copy operation failed with error ox800423f4.

Event viewer message: Backup started at { a609aef0-07de-4557-8af5-8a23bb6aba83} failed as volume shadow copy operation failed for backup volumes with followin error code 2155348129.



I would suggest you disable shadow copies before you start your backup.

A snapshot of the volume might occur during the course of your backup which will cause the vss writer to go crazy.



I would suggest you disable shadow copies before you start your backup.

A snapshot of the volume might occur during the course of your backup which will cause the vss writer to go crazy.



Are you using any other backup tool on this server which could be using VSS as well?
Does it work if you schedule the backup for different time?



Post output of



I think I know the problem, I just don't know how to fix it. I found this in disk management. I have mirrored drives and this is what it says : Failed Redundancy ( System, Boot, Page file, Crash Dump). So I tried to reactivate the volumes and I get a Pop-up box saying "The Plex is missing"



Here is the way to fix your failed redundancy :http://www.ehow.com/how_7486824_rebuild-raid-1-software.html

also you might want to ensure your backup either occurs when no other backups are shceduled, or that volume shadow copies are disabled when you are running your backup.

Share this

Related Posts

There was an error in this gadget