server 2012 restore to a new hard drive error: the system image restore failed

I have a Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard 2 CPU server and the C: has failed. I have a very recent backup on an external hard drive. I don't have the original OS install disc. I downloaded the eval .iso from Microsoft for Server 2012 R2, boot to it, Repair my computer, Troubleshoot, System Image Recovery, it finds the backup, and then I change the options to only restore system drives. Then, when I proceed, it quickly fails and tells me:

restore failed the processor architecture or os version of windows is not the same


What can I do to get this restore working?



That error is rarely (in truth, as far as I know NEVER) a false positive. Either the backup is a different version than the iso (2012 and 2012 R2 are not the same!) or a different edition (essentials vs standard vs datacenter.) Windows Server Backup will read backups enough to know it isn't a match and will stop.



That error is rarely (in truth, as far as I know NEVER) a false positive. Either the backup is a different version than the iso (2012 and 2012 R2 are not the same!) or a different edition (essentials vs standard vs datacenter.) Windows Server Backup will read backups enough to know it isn't a match and will stop.



Is there a way I can find out what exact version the OS is without it being able to boot? I have Windows Backups on a dedicated external HD and I have full C: and D: file-level backups to a cloud storage system. Are there any files in C: I could look in to see the version?



This could be a good workaround for you:
1. Download a free trial of Acronis Backup Windows Server

http://www.acronis.com/en-us/business/backup/windows-server/

2. Install on a different PC and create its own bootable recovery disk in order to perform a restore with.....

3. Boot your Server from this CD and follow this KB (should work also in your case):
https://kb.acronis.com/content/3648

4. Remember to always choose the "Universal Restore" option in order to be 100% sure that your image will be compatible in a different bare metal hardware.....

5. You should be fine.......



Unfortunately, when I tried the Acronis route and then select the Windows Backup HD it says "The selected location does not contain backed up data." -- although, I can navigate through a few directories, all directories report the same error. It even has the most recent backup as a folder name but Acronis displays that error.



I believe I have it working now. The MS sticker on the case is for Win Server 2012 R2....but when I booted with just a Win 2012 disc (not R2) the restore appears to be progressing. Let's hope this works! Thanks for all your help

Share this

Related Posts

There was an error in this gadget