Trying to register Windows and keep getting Error 0xC004F061

I have Windows 8 installed, but I keep getting an alert that says I need to activate Windows.

I put in my Product Key and it says it's invalid, which makes no sense, since this is the same Product Key I used to install the Operating System to begin with.

I attempted the steps outlined in this tutorial: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/fix-error-0xc004f061-unable-to-use-product-key-for-clean-install and I got the following error message:
Error: 0xC004F025 Access denied: the requested action requires elevated privileges.

Would love to see this dilemma solved. Any thoughts?



Elevated privileges mean, you need to start cmd.exe as Administrator

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2754-elevated-command-prompt-open-windows-8-a.html



Elevated privileges mean, you need to start cmd.exe as Administrator

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2754-elevated-command-prompt-open-windows-8-a.html



windowskey-x command prompt (admin)
slmgr.vbs -ipk
slmgr.vbs -ato

wait it takes a while



David,

I'm doing this:
slmgr.vbs-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX (my product key)

I hit enter, and I get an error that says what I've entered isn't recognized as a legitimate command.

Where am I blowing it?



You're missing the /ipk switch. Also, you need a space between the command, the switch and the key. Try this:



Did you try calling the Activation Phone number? Microsoft should be able to activate Windows for you.

Share this

Related Posts

There was an error in this gadget