Windows 8 PC Crashes TOO OFTEN!

Two months ago, I bought new hardware and built a new PC.

It has crashed at least a dozen times since and twice today.

I have been working on this PC all day. It had rebooted from a crash in the wee hours (3 AM-ish) and was waiting for me to sign in. It ran all day and was a bit sluggish at times and then crashed this evening (8:11 PM is the timestamp on the MEMORY.DMP file) while I was in Google Chrome. I copied the files that Windows wanted to send to Microsoft. Are they useful?

How can I track down what's the problem hardware/software?

Attached is a Speccy -generated text file on this PC.



If by crash, you mean it stops and you lose your data, then the best thing to do is a Windows 8 Refresh. This keeps your data intact and a lot of settings, but you have to reinstall software.

I did a Refresh to get ready to upgrade to Windows 8.1 and it worked very well. That was 16 months ago and my machine works fine.

Windows 8 Refresh is in PC Settings or in Action Center under Recovery options.



If by crash, you mean it stops and you lose your data, then the best thing to do is a Windows 8 Refresh. This keeps your data intact and a lot of settings, but you have to reinstall software.

I did a Refresh to get ready to upgrade to Windows 8.1 and it worked very well. That was 16 months ago and my machine works fine.

Windows 8 Refresh is in PC Settings or in Action Center under Recovery options.



I read through your attached text file. Some of the stuff is normal and I use it myself. Some I do not recognize and so cannot comment.

Go to Action Center, Maintenance, Reliability History and run it. What sticks out as a problem?



The Event Viewer showed "The bugcheck was: 0x00000116" in the Error after the MEMORY.DMP file was created and mentions the dump file.

I googled that line and saw that some had problems with graphics. So, I went to nVidia.com and grabbed the most recent non-beta driver set for the GeForce GT 220 for Win8 64-bit.

Time to reboot.



Let us also know about reliability history.

Graphics are a common issue. You should also get the newest Chipset driver and BIOS if a new one exists.



The bugcheck error indicates you have a faulty graphics display driver: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff557263%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

You appear to have a GeForce GT220 external graphics card. If you only have the one monitor and it's plugged into this graphics card then you should look at disabling the on-board Intel graphics chip in your BIOS.

Also make sure you have the latest drivers for your external graphics card which can be found here: http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/77224

When you install the drivers, tick the box that says Perform a clean install.

Share this

Related Posts

There was an error in this gadget