Background color won't work in Excel

Hi, I just tried to use the feature of highlighting the background in a couple of words in Excel and when I go to the top and select the icon, it's grayed out and won't give me the color selection to choose from. However, if I select the entire cell, it will allow me to highlight it. I use to be able to do this in Windows XP, can you not do it on Windows 7?
Thanks



Are you trying to highlight only a portion of the text in a cell? If so, I don't think you can do that. The options I know of would be to change the font color of the selected bit of text, or change the entire cell background.

If you're trying to change the entire cell background, you need to select the cell and then use the Fill Color dropdown. If you've only selected a part of the text, then the Fill Color dropdown will be grayed out.



Are you trying to highlight only a portion of the text in a cell? If so, I don't think you can do that. The options I know of would be to change the font color of the selected bit of text, or change the entire cell background.

If you're trying to change the entire cell background, you need to select the cell and then use the Fill Color dropdown. If you've only selected a part of the text, then the Fill Color dropdown will be grayed out.



unless my memory is failing me, you could never change the background colour on individual words in 2003.

You could (and still can) change the colour of the font itself, bold, italic, etc, but not the background of specific words... Got a pc still running 2003 at work, can check tomorrow?



Yeah, maybe my memory is failing. That is what I'm trying to do, i.e. change a couple of words in the text and not the entire cell. Please confirm and let me know. Thanks



I did not intend on awarding myself any points.



Share this

Related Posts

There was an error in this gadget