Chkdsk has endless loop

Hello Experts,

I have a HP laptop that had bad memory. After replacing the memory it appears to have caused an issue where it is stuck in a loop of chkdsk.

I am able to repair the problem but if I run chkdsk again it gets caught in the loop and will not reboot.

Any thoughts of how to fix?



I have seen this happen - go to step 3 on this link (And on that example it uses G: but substitute that for your actual drive letter ) - http://www.thewindowsclub.com/check-disk-runs-at-every-startup-windows

Basically, your drive gets flagged as "dirty" and stays that way until you manually change it.



I have seen this happen - go to step 3 on this link (And on that example it uses G: but substitute that for your actual drive letter ) - http://www.thewindowsclub.com/check-disk-runs-at-every-startup-windows

Basically, your drive gets flagged as "dirty" and stays that way until you manually change it.



Can you explain in a little more detail what the "chkdsk loop" is? Is the "loop" happening while in Windows, or during reboot? Can you get into Windows with the "loop"? What do you do to fix it?



also - the ramproblem may have caused a bad chunk in the disk
if the above does not help - run HDDRegenerator, it saved many drives for me : http://www.dposoft.net/hdd.html



Here is more details of what happens...

I turn on the laptop and it boots to chkdsk, it ends with the following messages, reboots and starts chkdsk again...

At the end of chkdsk, actually while in stage 1 of 3 it reports..

" Windows has finished checking your disk.
Please wait while your computer restarts.
Unable to set chkdsk ran once flag."

If I perform a windows repair via Windows 7 cd and run a chkdsk this way it tells me after checking the disk,
"Failed to transfer logged message to the event log with status"

I think I may have to just restage the system... any more thoughts before I restage it?



Oh by the way... once I do get windows to startup correctly. If I go and perform a chkdsk it goes back into this loop.....

Share this

Related Posts

There was an error in this gadget