'Excludes' in Backup Application

I have a backups application that works across all versions of windows (Win 98 upwards).
In my application it is recommended to backup only data files eg: XLS, DOC, MDB, DBF, PST etc. (excluding application, OS system files ,temp files etc).

Question:Can I safely Exclude the and folders assuming they do not contain any user entered data ?
As my program unnecessarily searches in them.



programdata*
appdata*
program files
program files (x86)
windows



It is possible for users to save data anywhere on their computer. I recently found Office documents in a user's windows folder.
The answer to your question is therefore no.



1 check the special folders, do not rely on c:usersusernamedocuments ... and only backup them.. To get the location check the registry
[HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionExplorer
User Shell Folders]



No doubt the user can and in my program too I will only be setting it as Default so that user can modify.
What I want to know is that if someone is following convention then it look foolish for me to go thru the folders wherein data is typically not stored.



Hi David Johnson,
The way we set the backup us typically
c:*.doc?
c:*.xls?
...

that covers all users files.
What I need is the exclusions



programdata*
appdata*
program files
program files (x86)
windows

Share this

Related Posts

There was an error in this gadget