low graphics Windows Experience score

I am just wondering how much credibility and importance should be placed on the Windows Experience Index as regards graphics. I am trying to get maximum performance from my windows 7 32-bit desktop computer for quite heavy office based work including flash, photoshop, illustrator. My scores came in as follows:
Processor 7.4
Memory 7.4
Graphics 2.3
Gaming graphics 4.9
Primary hard disk 7.7

The low one there being graphics at 2.3 whilst the majority are in the 7 bracket. I have a Sapphire Radeon HD5450 graphics card. I went and updated the drivers right now and got an even worse score!! - on updating the windows experience it is now down to just 2.0 with the drivers update.

What I am interested in is improving the speed of my pc. I am wondering whether a purchase of a better graphics card might help. Do you think that would be a good idea? I don't really understand why I am only getting a 2.0 for graphics. I mean it's not a bad graphics card, got a lot of 5 stars here on amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sapphire-11166-02-20R-5450-DDR3-Graphics/dp/B0036DD4CO/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I don't actually notice any noticeable poor performance on graphics, but that 2.0 score is a worry. However it does sometimes hour glass when moving a load of objects in Flash. I always just thought it would be the cpu trying to do its tasks, but could it actually be the graphics card causing the delay? Would it be logical to suggest that a better card would get a better score and better overall pc performance?

Thanks for any comment/advice.



Although your graphics card isn't the best ,it should give more performance than what you have described.
It sure looks like driver and/or configurations problem ,anyway it wouldn't give too much performance once sorted the driver issue ,cause it still is cheap low performance card ,especially if we are talking about the 1Gb brand.

If you really want high graphics performance then I would advise you to buy a better VCard.
Although I have to be honest with you ,for the applications you described earlier ,photoshop etc.. ,this card will also do.



Although your graphics card isn't the best ,it should give more performance than what you have described.
It sure looks like driver and/or configurations problem ,anyway it wouldn't give too much performance once sorted the driver issue ,cause it still is cheap low performance card ,especially if we are talking about the 1Gb brand.

If you really want high graphics performance then I would advise you to buy a better VCard.
Although I have to be honest with you ,for the applications you described earlier ,photoshop etc.. ,this card will also do.



Hi aboo_s,

yeah I would have thought that it would be better as well. I mean the graphics card was just put into the motherboard and downloaded drivers program run and I def got the correct exe from the sapphire site. I don't actually have to disable the onboard graphics on the Asrock N68c-s ucc motherboard do I?

Thanks.



"I am just wondering how much credibility and importance should be placed on the Windows Experience Index as regards graphics."
Very little - WEI is really little more than marketing fluff from Microsoft

"I mean it's not a bad graphics card, got a lot of 5 stars here on amazon"
That's customers who are happy with what they got from Amazon - but is no measure of technical ability - 5 stars could equally be "It arrived quickly and worked first time out of the package"

If you want a useful comparison try something like PassMark which will show where your card lies in the scheme of available graphics cards by direct comparison:http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=Radeon+HD+5450&id=7

Yes, you could do better but if everything does what you need don't get hung up on WEI



Although it is supposed to be neutral when a pcx is installed it would be better if disabled the onboard graphics card from your pc's BIOS. This way you insure there are no hardware conflicts.



if everything does what you need don't get hung up on WEI <-- Yes. WEI was ditched in Windows 8 and does not reappear in Windows 10. If the machine is working to your satisfaction, you do not need WEI.

Share this

Related Posts

There was an error in this gadget