MpCmdRun.exe not running scan

When entering the following into a CMD command prompt
C:Program FilesWindows Defender>MpCmdRun.exe -Scan -scantype 1
It returns the following;

Signature update started . . .
Signature update finished. No updates needed

However, there is nothing about it running a scan. When checking the log file in
C:ProgramDataMicrosoftMicrosoft ForefrontClient SecurityClientAntimalwareSupport there are no entries for the scan.
Does anyone know how I can get it to scan from the command line? Is there another setting / switch that I have to implement ?

Thanks in advance



The command line syntax and option is fine, according to the help file (MpCmdRun.exe -h or /?), and I am positive that the only option that you have to specify the target drive or directory to scan is when you choose the Custom Scan type 3.

MpCmdRun.exe -Scan -scantype 1

From a batch file, try forcing an update signature check first and then see if the scan command works. I can't verify the path to your executable because I have Microsoft Security Essentials on Windows XP. It uses the same MpCmdRun.exe program for command line scanning and updating though.



The command line syntax and option is fine, according to the help file (MpCmdRun.exe -h or /?), and I am positive that the only option that you have to specify the target drive or directory to scan is when you choose the Custom Scan type 3.

MpCmdRun.exe -Scan -scantype 1

From a batch file, try forcing an update signature check first and then see if the scan command works. I can't verify the path to your executable because I have Microsoft Security Essentials on Windows XP. It uses the same MpCmdRun.exe program for command line scanning and updating though.



BillDL,

Thanks for the comment. I will try that and get back to you. Sorry, for the late reply.

Matt



Thanks for your input. Sorry, for the late reply was away from my desk for a few days





Share this

Related Posts

There was an error in this gadget