Network

I recently changed the office network connection my Windows 7 computer from wireless access to wired with an internet cable to the router.

The Internet access is much, much faster, but for some reason this machine cannot see any others on the network. I can't print to network printers, or access any other machine on the network. On the network and sharing center, it's in the same workgroup as everybody else ("WORKGROUP"), but can see only itself in the network. If I click on "Connect to a Network", a little box opens down in the right corner, saying "Currently connected to: Network" and nothing further appears possible,

I checked the properties on the ethernet adaptor, and noticed that it says that I have IPv4 Internet connection, but IPv6 says "No network access" and I can't figure out whether or how to change that. Does that mean there's something wrong with the hardware?

Please help me on this, it's a mission-critical fault!

CW



It sounds like Network Discovery is off. Look here for how to turn that on, as it should allow you to see the other machines once it's turned on.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/enable-disable-network-discovery#1TC=windows-7



It sounds like Network Discovery is off. Look here for how to turn that on, as it should allow you to see the other machines once it's turned on.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/enable-disable-network-discovery#1TC=windows-7



You need to turn on all the required Network Sharing Settings.

ie.
Network Discovery
File & Printer Sharing
Public Folder Sharing
Media Streaming


See this guide by 7tutorials.com:http://www.7tutorials.com/how-customize-network-sharing-settings-windows-7



I went and checked network discovery, file, and printer sharing, and they were both already turned on.

While I was there, I did turn off password-protected sharing and turn on media streaming. That didn't help with my basic problem, though.

CW



Likely the new network was set as a Public network. Change it to Work and it will behave in these areas much better.

Control PanelAll Control Panel ItemsNetwork and Sharing Center
View Your Active Networks
click on Public Network link.
Select Work Network.



The network is designated as Work, not Public.

Share this

Related Posts

There was an error in this gadget