Some websites don't open in XP but do in 7 and 8

We have three XP computers here with legacy apps. We have three windows 7 computers and 12 Windows 8 computers. This morning, the Windows XP computers stopped connecting to SOME websites. The other computers connect just fine. One such website is www.logmein.com, which is directed to an https site, so at first I thought it was an issue with https, but then found that gmail works OK, and it's an https site. I've rebooted the router to no avail. I've connected one of the trouble PCs directly to the modem with no joy, so it's not the router. I suppose it could be the internet connection, but why are only the XP computers affected?

On one of the computers,
I've verified that the date and time are correct
I've cleared the internet explorer settings
I reset the SSL state
I reregistered the DLLs as advised by a microsoft document

I don't know what else to do.



UPDATE: I have found that the websites DO open in Chrome. The problem is, there is an app that runs on these XP computers that doesn't connect to the VPN.



UPDATE: I have found that the websites DO open in Chrome. The problem is, there is an app that runs on these XP computers that doesn't connect to the VPN.



google "windows xp ssl hotfix"

sites have been upgrading their encryption protocols and windows XP is no longer getting automatic updates that would add the capability.

I would advise your clients to update their windows XP computers - they'll just continue to be more of a headache and require more support calls/time.



The issue is likely that the sites are using features that IE v8 doesn't support ... but the newer versions of IE in later OS's do.

I'd simply use Firefox or Chrome on the XP computers -- both of these work fine in XP.



The problem is, there is an app that runs on these XP computers that requires them to connect to a VPN. The fact that some websites don't open is actually secondary, but I thought it would be easier to find a solution to that problem and the solution would make the VPN issue go away too. In fact, in normal use, these PCs are never used for browsing.



You should close out this question and open a new one concerning your VPN issue.

Make sure that the security Hotfixes I pointed you to earlier have been applied to your XP machines.

Regards
G

Share this

Related Posts

There was an error in this gadget