Virtual_machine_backup..

I have an Vmware ESXi host with one windows 2008 VM running a crystal reports server.

I want to do a major upgrade on the crystal report server.

I want to take a VM backup before I do any work.

Our company does a file based copy for backups which I don't think will work for a whole system recovery.

I need to enter a ticket request for data center to make sure they do a block level image or snapshot of the VM.

My questions are:
1) What exactly do you request to make sure they don't do a file based copy? Do you request a copy of the VMDK and associated files?

2) Also, my understanding they don't have any specific backup tools for VM backup (i.e they use normal commuvault). Can they do this with a regular windows file copy or ESXi host?

3) Do I need to shutdown the windows 2008 server or machine before they do the VM backup?



Ask them to do this at least....

Do not ASK for a Snapshot, that is not a backup!

I do not know what Backup System you have, but if my Client came to me, and advised them were doing an upgrade of the VM, I would ensure, I have a a DR Copy of the VM available to be restore, which was taken, seconds before the VM was upgraded....

You should be using a Virutal AWARE backup product, so ask for a Block Copy of the VM, and ASK them how quickly it can be restore the answer, should be 5-10 minutes if it's a block copy. (which is the VMDK and associated files!).

Commvault is VMware VM aware!

No shutdown of the VM is required.!

Why don't you test them.....ask for a backup, and then tell them it all went wrong, how long does a restore take!

Part 10: HOW TO: Backup (Export) and Restore (Import) virtual machines to VMware vSphere Hypervisor 5.1 for FREE



Ask them to do this at least....

Do not ASK for a Snapshot, that is not a backup!

I do not know what Backup System you have, but if my Client came to me, and advised them were doing an upgrade of the VM, I would ensure, I have a a DR Copy of the VM available to be restore, which was taken, seconds before the VM was upgraded....

You should be using a Virutal AWARE backup product, so ask for a Block Copy of the VM, and ASK them how quickly it can be restore the answer, should be 5-10 minutes if it's a block copy. (which is the VMDK and associated files!).

Commvault is VMware VM aware!

No shutdown of the VM is required.!

Why don't you test them.....ask for a backup, and then tell them it all went wrong, how long does a restore take!

Part 10: HOW TO: Backup (Export) and Restore (Import) virtual machines to VMware vSphere Hypervisor 5.1 for FREE



i did that and the ticket is over 1 year old and nothing yet. they want to test restore system from file based backup!

I think their problem with commuvault VM backup is that it does entrie VM insteasd of daily incrementals. that will use a lot of disk storage. Maybe they dont know how to configure it though.

what is virtual aware backup product - not sure if they have it. Can they use windows file copy to copy the vmdk and associagted file? is thi reliable for recovery.



In that case, ask them to follow my EE Article of Exporting the VM, if that is the only backup system you have got!


Can they use windows file copy to copy the vmdk and associagted file? is thi reliable for recovery.


No. See my EE Article.



I read your link above.

Are you saying they should use ESXi host 5.1 to do a export to OVF backup file that will have these 3 files?

My First Windows VM.mf
My First Windows VM.ovf
My First Windows VM.vmdk

I think they might be using ESXi 5.0 but i will have to confirm.

Are you sure a windows file copy for vmdk and other files will not work for recovery?
One of the guys did it this way before but I never tested it.

Thank you



No that article was just written and 5.1 was the example ESXi used!

If that's all they can offer - yes - better than nothing!

ESXi 4.x, 5.x all the same they have the same function!

if you've got the vmdk files, that will also work, but Export to OVF is easier, than manually copying files and folders!

It's easier for them, to use Export to OVF, but if they've want to mess with files, and mangle them up!

Share this

Related Posts

There was an error in this gadget