Why does it require storage driver for installation from USB Stick and installs without driver from DVD?

Hey folks,

I have met an embarrassing challenge and would like to hear your input. I was going to create a multi-Windows installation media. Don't be mislead by wording. Multi-Windows installation media means that I have 2-3 Windows installation files on one USB Stick. I start the PC from it and select if I want to install Windows 7 32bit or 64bit or I want to install Windows 8.
I am using EasyBCD2.0 for this and it works pretty well. The only problem which I am stuck at - it asks for driver for a simple SATA controller. If you turn in BIOS the HDD mode to IDE compatible - then it installs.
But if you try to install Windows from Windows 7 DVD - it finds the drivers.
And if you create a Bootable USB stick with Windows 7 USB Download Tool - it works also well.
The only problem if I open the ISO images via Daemon Tools or 7zip - copy the content to directories on USB stick (win732 Win764 etc) - then run the install process - it will always ask for a driver. And finally most interesting part - the storage is there - I can use browse for driver and see all my internal drives - but no way to install Windows over to them.
Why is so?



There are two OS involved.

Installed OS and the installing OS(Win PE etc).

Installing OS can see the drive so it has the driver. You need another driver for the final OS(The one coming out of the .wim file).

You can switch to MDT and resolve most of the issues you are facing.



There are two OS involved.

Installed OS and the installing OS(Win PE etc).

Installing OS can see the drive so it has the driver. You need another driver for the final OS(The one coming out of the .wim file).

You can switch to MDT and resolve most of the issues you are facing.



recommend that you use MDT and the media option



every device neeeds a driver - usb, and DVD
the difference is that there is a general driver for DVD drives, used at boot time
many bios'es have a more or less "general" driver for usb - but not for all, and the same goes for the windows install files



What I find strange is that when I create the USB stick with MS USB download tool then it works. Copying the content from this USB stick to another one and making it boot - it fails with driver.



Nobus, why is the driver not needed if I perform the installation from a USB stick created by Windows 7 USB Download Tool?
And the same good installation runs if doing the install from a DVD.
Only if you move it manually to another USB stick, edit BCD so that boot manager shows you several OSes you can start - you select one which you know works - and then it stops at asking driver.

Share this

Related Posts

There was an error in this gadget