Windows 2008 RRAS

I am trying to setup a Windows Server as a Router.

Here is my scenario.

Created a RRAS server with let say 5 interfaces. 172.16.0.1 (24), 172.16.1.2 (24), 192.168.198.1 (24), 10.10.10.1 (24), 10.10.11.1 (24).

Installed RIP on the RRAS server; and installed all 5 interfaces. Ping each interface from the RRAS Server which was successful.

So when went to each interface and tried to ping the RRAS server and was successful.

But was not able to ping each other interface from each individual interface. Example while on 172.16.0.1 interface could not ping 192.168.198.1.1;

Can someone explain how to fix this issue?



"went to each interface and tired to ping" - does that mean you pinged from a device connected to that particular interface?
Any reason why you want to use RIP? I cannot recommend it, unless your routes are "on demand".
Instead, use the RRAS as default gateway for all devices but the Internet router, and forward unknown traffic to that router.



"went to each interface and tired to ping" - does that mean you pinged from a device connected to that particular interface?
Any reason why you want to use RIP? I cannot recommend it, unless your routes are "on demand".
Instead, use the RRAS as default gateway for all devices but the Internet router, and forward unknown traffic to that router.



No it does not mean that; which you are correct. So on interface 172.16.0.1 (HostServer & not RRAS Sever) I cannot ping to 192.168.198.1. This is the task I trying to accomplish with RRAS. This is a simulation lab that I am performing these. My Goal is to try to build a multisite & multi-forest infrastructure; but before I am able to do it I must have the proper routing table in place to peform this. Remember using VMware workstation where I can setup a router and install numerous of interfaces. I choose Windows RRAS because seems the most simplistic way to go.

Thanks



So I would like to connect to site 1 (172.16.0.1) to site 2 (192.168.198.1) having RRAS server in the middle to connect both interfaces. I do I go by doing this



As said, use the RRAS as default gateway, and allow it to decide where traffic flows (which should go without any further config).
Of course make sure to have Router role active in RRAS.



I've re-opened the question. I'm confident that I gave you the correct and complete answer. I'm also sure that a grade "C" is off.
If no answer was helpful (yet), say so, and we can try to work with you towards a solution.
If an answer helped, the correct grade is an "A", unless you asked the Experts for some more detail and you did not get any reply.

Qlemo
Topic Advisor

Share this

Related Posts

There was an error in this gadget