Windows 2012 - Lose RDP connection if I stop Windows Firewall service, then I cant reconnect

Got two servers. One with windows firewall enabled, one with windows firewall service stopped.

If I stop services on 2nd server, I lose RDP session and can no longer connect or ping. (Luckily, its virtual server so I have console access).

This seems very strange behaviour?



There's no need to disable the service, just disable the profiles. I've found disabling the service may create weird problems, but disabling the profiles doesn't change anything. I've also never needed a reboot when doing this.



This is normal if you do this and requires a reboot for this action to take effect, if you want to disable the firewall put it into disabled state (don’t stop it), reboot the server and after the reboot it will then be disabled.



Ian - thanks. I've found that if I go in and disable the various connection types (domain, private, public) first, it then allows me to disable the firewall service. No reboot required it seems.



There's no need to disable the service, just disable the profiles. I've found disabling the service may create weird problems, but disabling the profiles doesn't change anything. I've also never needed a reboot when doing this.





Share this

Related Posts

There was an error in this gadget