Windows 7 crash

I have a Dell 4010 laptop with Windows 7 Home Prem. It sat for a while and got the BSOD when I started it with 0x025 (NTFS error).

I used a different win 7 home prem disk to try repair. I did sfc /scannow and chkdsk /r /f (after a bunch of messing around which is not relevant).

I do not get the BSOD now.
I get the windows logo and then a black screen with the mouse pointer that moves when I move it. The hard drive light looks like Windows starts but I get nothing.

I use F8 + esc but the 'load last good..' has no effect.

I think Explorer.exe has either been deleted or renamed by something or somehow made not functional.

Question1: can I install over the current Windows using my other Windows 7 disk without compromising the product key? Will it keep the old legitimate product key and not take my new one?

Question2: Is there any way I can get Regedit to run using repair to see if the registry is hosed and maybe fix it that way? If I can do that I don't need to use my new windows 7 key.

Is there anything I have not thought of to fix this?



can I install over the current Windows using my other Windows 7 disk without compromising the product key? <-- I do not think so. The original install is almost for sure OEM. The disk you used is either different OEM or Retail Windows. It is not compatible and would be viewed as a fresh install (and new key required).

Is there any way I can get Regedit to run using repair <-- Repair Install requires a working recovery partition or the Windows 7 DVD for the system. I have not heard of launching a repair with the Registry Editor alone.



can I install over the current Windows using my other Windows 7 disk without compromising the product key? <-- I do not think so. The original install is almost for sure OEM. The disk you used is either different OEM or Retail Windows. It is not compatible and would be viewed as a fresh install (and new key required).

Is there any way I can get Regedit to run using repair <-- Repair Install requires a working recovery partition or the Windows 7 DVD for the system. I have not heard of launching a repair with the Registry Editor alone.



Thanks John. I feared as much.

I found a tool that does linux for password recovery and registry edit. http://blog.omotech.com/?p=830
Very command line-ish. Normally not a problem but command line in the registry seems to require attention to case and a lot of typing. I quickly gave up instead of completely screwing up.

I pressed ahead and started the Dell 'data safe recovery'. It does ask for files to be saved and promises to retore them after Windows is repaired. It is working now and looks to be a time consuming process.

I am going to let the question go for now.



@Liefr - Thanks for the update and I was happy to help.





Share this

Related Posts

There was an error in this gadget