Windows 8.1 keyboard keys not working

Hi,

I'm having a really strange problem with my new laptop that has Windows 8.1. Randomly some of the keys on my keyboard will stop working. For example I will be watching vids on YouTube and when I try to search for a new vid certain letters on the keyboard will suddenly stop working or bring up random things instead of Just typing. Help - this is the first time I've used anything other than Windows 7 and really can't figure out what's going on. If I reboot the machine all keys will operate as normal, but, it is a really pain to reboot every time this happens.



It's best if you would have a USB keyboard nearby. Connect the USB keyboard (you can use it simultaneously with the laptop keyboard). That way you can check if it's a hardware failure (when you type using USB keyboard, all keys are correct, while at the same time, the keys of the laptop behave strangely).
It's definitely a software problem if the same keys (both USB and laptop) produce the same wrong letters on screen.



It's best if you would have a USB keyboard nearby. Connect the USB keyboard (you can use it simultaneously with the laptop keyboard). That way you can check if it's a hardware failure (when you type using USB keyboard, all keys are correct, while at the same time, the keys of the laptop behave strangely).
It's definitely a software problem if the same keys (both USB and laptop) produce the same wrong letters on screen.



Eventually managed to borrow a USB keyboard and when the keys stopped working (this happens randomly) I plugged the keyboard in and the keys still don't work as they should. It's weird as when I press certain keys it's as if they are bringing up certain functions - almost as if I'm pressing a function key. I'm sure this is a Windows 8.1 issue as I've never had anything like this happen on Windows 7.



Now that we know it's not a hardware problem (otherwise the USB keyboard would react differently from the laptop keyboard), there are some common errors amongst most Windows version.
It's best checked when it happens again to use the keys (only tap this letter once, and after something happens, tap it once again):
e (brings up explorer, second tap opens another new explorer window)
r (brings up Run... windows)

If this happens 100% (so it is actually not really unpredictable garbage, but more really a fixed bug), the solution is to hit the Winkey (usually the one between ctrl and alt, with the Windows logo on it), hit it a few times, and this "stuck" key will be released. This is usually not a hardware problem, as I've had this in some cases for over 14 years (winxp era), with multiple computers (and multiple Windows versions), and hence multiple keyboards. Just a bug, which I have a workaround for.



Will try that the next time it happens and let you know - it may be a couple of days as it is so random when it happens, please don't think I've abandoned the question



It just happened as I turned it on, I couldn't logon as one of the keys is in my password. But, as it was at the logon screen it didn't do anything when I pressed the keys. I have now identified which keys don't work - H & V - I also tried the on-screen keyboard and they don't work on that either.

Thank you for your help so far.

Share this

Related Posts

There was an error in this gadget