Can someone tell me how I might secure a CMD as a non Administrator CMD?

I was recently upset to find out I have only Administrative CMD windows when I open any cmd (command prompt) in Windows 7
Now most of the time that is fine but
as the User is an administrator of their machine is this normal behavior these days 2015?
Or should I be concerned? I seem to recall that CMD without the Administrative checkbox in the shortcut properties indicates non-administrator mode but as I can startup/shutdown services in any of my CMD windows(e.g. net start xyzserver)
I have to figure they all are Administrator CMDs
despite the silly check box.
That does not seem right to me. Any comments on this?
Otherwise things seem fine.



Do you mean each time you run it, it only runs as admin?

Is the logged on user an admin?



Do you mean each time you run it, it only runs as admin?

Is the logged on user an admin?



There are a few different situations that lead to this behaviour.... UAC, User profile priviliges, Registry keys missing.....
Investigate the one that applies to you....
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8560516/stop-cmd-from-always-opening-with-administrator-privileges



Pretty sure Ian is correct, this is most likely UAC being disabled.



NewVillageIT (NVIT) - Yes user is logged on as an admin. It is hard to have a user who is not a local administrator of their machine frankly I have found unlike a Linux box for example.

I checked out the link specified by Ian but it did not check out. No such key or value in the registry.

I only found two entries with key values containing cmd.exe



> ...as the User is an administrator of their machine is this normal behavior...
If UAC is at lowest level, Never Notify, then... Each time you run CMD, the window title shows as "Administrator: Command Prompt". The user DOES NOT have to be an admin,

If UAC is Default, window title should show as "Command Prompt". Even for an admin user. Mine does here.

Also check the Properties of the Command Prompt shortcut. Advanced.

Also check... HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionAppCompatFlagsLayers
There may be a key for cmd.exe with a Value of RUNASADMIN.

Share this

Related Posts

There was an error in this gadget