Corrupt Windows; Am I running Windows 7 Pro or Home?

Seems like a silly question but...

I have a customer whose Windows 7 O/S just died (constant reboot at startup, no safe mode etc.), and on failed startup repair it gives BadPatch as the reason. System restore doesn't work. Looks like it's going to but then at the end it says it failed.

I pulled the drive out and put it in my PC and CHKDSK repaired some minor things (miscalculated space marked as free, etc.). No better though.

There is no sticker on the laptop, as this was apparently downgraded from Windows 8.

The OS is version 6.1.7601.2.1.256.1. Is this enough to tell me if it is pro or home? I can find no info online.



The OS is version 6.1.7601.2.1.256.1. Is this enough to tell me if it is pro or home?


I would say the answer is no.

6.1.760x is Windows 7 or Windows 2008 R2.

The 1 at the end means service pack 1

I am not aware of what the meaning is for the remaining portion is for.



Is this PC tied to a domain? If so it has to be a pro license. Also what brand of PC is this (Dell, HP, Lenovo?) For downgrades they usually don't give you a key and have a disc to install the downgraded version



The OS is version 6.1.7601.2.1.256.1. Is this enough to tell me if it is pro or home?


I would say the answer is no.

6.1.760x is Windows 7 or Windows 2008 R2.

The 1 at the end means service pack 1

I am not aware of what the meaning is for the remaining portion is for.



If it was the free upgrade from Windows 8.x to Windows 7, then that was only available for PC's that came with at least Windows 8.x Pro, and then logically you would also at least upgrade to Windows 7 Pro... For Windows 8.x PC's you didn't have free upgrade rights.



DaveWWW--
Right click Computer|Properties. Near the top It should tell you what version of Win is being used. If SP1 it will say Service Pack two lines down.

Bad Patch at the end of System Repair, is usually not repairable.
Make an image of the disk (in another PC) and try a new hard drive.



So when it's booting and you tap F8 you should have a option to repair computer. Is that a option in your case?

Share this

Related Posts

There was an error in this gadget