Dell Win8.1 Recovery Disk Validation Test

I have a new Dell laptop running Win8.1 and they have added their own branded backup/recovery tools.

They have a process to create Recovery Disks, but I had an issue so searched the web for fixes and found TWO huge major issues everyone seems to have with Dell Recovery Disks:
1. The Create Disk process doesn't work. Mine used 2 DVDs, said it completed, but I have serious doubts.

2. When actually needed, the recovery disks don't recover. You are hosed at the worst possible time to be hosed.

Is there a way to test the validity of recovery disks you built to be viable and complete now when system is secure and safe, instread of relying on them, using them, having them fail, and no longer being able to create recovery disks.

I have not applied the Win8.1 Pro Pak, but will.

I have looked a little, but doesn't he OS itself have usable tools for this?



>> Is there a way to test the validity of recovery disks you built to be viable << put in another disk of the same size, and run the recovery DVD's

i mean, even if a test "validates" the dvd's - are you sure it will work?



>> Is there a way to test the validity of recovery disks you built to be viable << put in another disk of the same size, and run the recovery DVD's

i mean, even if a test "validates" the dvd's - are you sure it will work?



The only test I'm aware of is to have the recovery software read the disks and actually apply files back to restore system to a viable, minimal, earlier state - provided disks were built correctly. This is possibly too late if the disks are bad or incomplete.

I'll contact he vendor see if they can provide a net set of directories/files and sizes maybe I can compare to my disks.



that's what i said, but on ANOTHER disk drive, so you don't loose anything



That just proves the created recover disks create same disks - doesn't prove either set works. I can put the DVDs in another machine and browse the contents. But I don't know if I have 3000 files in 10 folders or are supposed to have 3005 files in 11 folders.

Where is my personal "crash and burn" pc when I need it.



i don't understand you; if it creates the same HDD, it does work imo, since that's what it's supposed to do.
what else do you expect from it?

>> Where is my personal "crash and burn" pc when I need it. << what do you mean??

Share this

Related Posts

There was an error in this gadget