Microsoft Outlook 10 Takes long time to receive message

Okay, have a different question. I have a gmail POP account using 993/SSL and 587/TLS and the second I hit send, I can look at my other screen and see that it shows up on Googles email account and I see the send / receive bar at the bottom working and I see that it shows up in my Sent Items folder. Problem? The problem is that it does not COME IN to my In Box. The only way it comes in is when I hit the Send/Receive Tab.

On the other hand, I also have another email with a different provider (go daddy) and it is an IMAP account. The minute it gets through sending, it shows up in my In Box without me having to do anything. Is this because one is a POP account and the other an IMAP? What else could cause this problem? Also, This POP account is on two computers and I thought it would synchronize both computers to Google's site but what is happening is that each computer only downloads what originates from that computer. Is that the way it's suppose to work? Thanks



I use Send / Receive to ensure I am doing what I want to do

On the other hand, you can go to Outlook, Send / Receive Groups, Define Group and pull up the Send Receive Groups Window. Set your options for automatic send/receive and that should make Outlook work as you wish.



I use Send / Receive to ensure I am doing what I want to do

On the other hand, you can go to Outlook, Send / Receive Groups, Define Group and pull up the Send Receive Groups Window. Set your options for automatic send/receive and that should make Outlook work as you wish.



Differences between POP and IMAP


Both POP (Post Office Protocol) and IMAP (Internet Message access protocol) allow people to get access to their email from a remote server; however, that is where most similarities end. POP simply downloads email to your computer, and usually (but not always) deletes the email from the remote server. The problems arise if you have more than one device where you read your mail (desktop, laptop, tablet or phone). Here's why it's bad: You have to delete or file the same email on every device

Logging into each device, you will see lots of unread emails with no indication of which you deleted, read, flagged or filed Any folders you created and organize on one device won't be replicated on the other devices

IMAP allows users to store their email on remote servers. This two-way protocol also allows the user to synchronize their email among multiple devices, which is extremely important today, when most people have at least two devices - their laptop and smartphone.

In outlook you can set POP to check on an interval so you don't have to keep pressing send/receive to get email. The problem comes from that your outlook is checking the inbox (Google) then sending your message. It is the order in which it is processing the commands. As to the differences between your 2 machines by default POP will download the messages off of the server rather than leave a copy up there which causes you to not be in sync.


Southmod: Content above was sourced from http://www.pop2imap.com/

I suggest you switch to IMAP



Since I created the account as POP, can I simply change the settings in Google to convert it to IMAP and then recreate the account (using the proper settings) in Outlook using the existing folder? Secondly, the reason I used POP was that Outlooks gives you the option to determine a) whether to leave the information on the server and b) choose for how many days. I like this feature and I don't see it when setting up an IMAP in Outlook. Can that be controlled from the server?



John, how do I access " Send / Receive Groups" in Outlook to do what you are suggesting?



Yes you can update the settings in your google admin. Then you can just update it within outlook without having to recreate the account. By default IMAP leaves messages on the server until you delete it.

Share this

Related Posts

There was an error in this gadget