Network Connection Script

Hi, I would like to write a Wireless Network Connection Script so that by hitting a couple of keys, I could activate/dis-activate the wireless connection using the program AutoHotkeys. Can someone help me with this? Thanks



Here's a one-click/two-click technique that I use. Although I'm a big fan of AutoHotkey, it's not needed in this situation.

First, make a shortcut as follows:
Control Panel
Network and Sharing Center
Change adapter settings
Right-click on your wireless adapter and click Create Shortcut

It will say that Windows can't create a shortcut here and will ask if you want the shortcut on the desktop instead — click Yes.

That shortcut will act as an enable/disable toggle for your wireless connection. If the wireless is disabled, a single left-click on the shortcut will enable the wireless; if the wireless is enabled, a right-click will give you a context menu with a Disable option. In other words, one mouse click (a left) on the shortcut will enable wireless; two mouse clicks (a right and a left) on the shortcut will disable wireless.

You may place the shortcut wherever you want, such as the Start menu and/or the Desktop; and/or pin it to the taskbar. Regards, Joe



Here's a one-click/two-click technique that I use. Although I'm a big fan of AutoHotkey, it's not needed in this situation.

First, make a shortcut as follows:
Control Panel
Network and Sharing Center
Change adapter settings
Right-click on your wireless adapter and click Create Shortcut

It will say that Windows can't create a shortcut here and will ask if you want the shortcut on the desktop instead — click Yes.

That shortcut will act as an enable/disable toggle for your wireless connection. If the wireless is disabled, a single left-click on the shortcut will enable the wireless; if the wireless is enabled, a right-click will give you a context menu with a Disable option. In other words, one mouse click (a left) on the shortcut will enable wireless; two mouse clicks (a right and a left) on the shortcut will disable wireless.

You may place the shortcut wherever you want, such as the Start menu and/or the Desktop; and/or pin it to the taskbar. Regards, Joe



I followed your instructions to a t and unfortunately, it doesn't work for me. I see the shortcut on the start menu and when I click on the trackpad on the left or the right, I see a little box on the screen saying that it is enabling it but I don't see one that says disabling. However, I just noticed that I can go to Wireless Network Connection and it says Disabled but I'm still connected to the net. So apparently it does not disable the connection.



Hmmm, works perfectly here — it's a technique I've been using for many years on lots of laptops, with different versions of Windows and different wireless adapters.

To be clear, when I left-click on the shortcut, I see this:



I use a trackpad on an HP ENVY 15t. Let me go back and re-do it and I'll show u what I get.



I use the touchpad on two different HP EliteBook models (both with W7 Pro 64-bit) and they work fine. I'll be very surprised if your HP ENVY doesn't.

Share this

Related Posts

There was an error in this gadget