Windows 8.1 computer low on memory, casuing MS Office and Firefefox problems

I have a desktop running Windows 8.1 that is starting to run low on memory at times. I've attached a popup I get at times saying "Close programs to prevent information loss" (attached screenshot).

When the system gets low on memory, Firefox often crashes.

Other problems is if I have some MS Office windows open, then will go blank and I will have to close and re-open them, losing any changes I have made since last saved.


I have attached what my task manager looks like while having several Firefox windows open and MS Outlook open. Any idea why my system is running so low on memory at times?


My Computer has:Windows 8.1 OS
64 bit Operating System x64 based processor
Intel i7-3770 CPU @ 3.4GHz
8.0GB of RAM
C Drive has 250GB Solid State Drive
D Drive has 500GB Hard Drive
(Firefox v37.01)



I can't view your screenshots because it says the files have errors.

However, the first thing I'd suspect is malware. Open up Windows Defender from the Control Panel and run a full scan to see if it picks up anything.



I can't view your screenshots because it says the files have errors.

However, the first thing I'd suspect is malware. Open up Windows Defender from the Control Panel and run a full scan to see if it picks up anything.



I'd suggest that you use multiple tabs but don't use multiple windows in Firefox.

Select the "Don't load tabs until selected" option to reduce Firefox memory consumption.

I strongly recommend that you use the Session Manager Firefox addon,
to ensure graceful recovery from crashes.



i cant see your pics, but barring any type of malware, i would aim at firefox plugins/extensions. If you load up too many extensions in the browsers, it really eats the hell out of your memory. Remember, every tab and every window loads up every plugin you have in the browser.
So the first thing i would do is disable any FF plugins & extensions that are not completely necessary and start working like normal.
see if you get crashes or memory leaks. then, 1 by 1, start enabling them, from the most reliable to the "hey, wtf is that plugin and when did that get installed"
In my world, its chrome that is the huge memory pig. I have my firefox very clean with just uBlock and roboform, whereas my chrome has every plugin on the planet.



In Firefox try ...
Help > Restart With Add-ons Disabled

Then compare memory usage



Check your pagefile settings. Set a system managed pagefile on your conventional disk if there is none there.

Share this

Related Posts

There was an error in this gadget