Windows update error

I am working on a remote computer that has been infected, mainly with PUPs. I believe after running numerous scans I have resolved this issues. Rkill found several issues which have all been resolved. When attempting windows updates I get error code 6B7 & 641. Seems to pertain to security updates for .Net Framework and Microsoft Office 2010. When I attempt to go to Microsoft's "fixit" tools page for Windows updates I get an error going to that page from Chrome (even though I can access it from my computer) and IE won't start.


I have done a sfc /scannow - no issues


I have uninstalled the IE 11 update


Started the computer in a clean boot state


I have rechecked for updates and am installing only the IE updates - says successful


I have reset Google Chrome


Restarting the computer


IE still will not start



Try the following to see if it helps:
Go to Control Panel, Internet Options, Advanced and click on Reset. See the check box (default is unchecked) that will do a full reset. Click on the box to set the option, OK out and allow the reset to take place. Restart the computer. See if that helps.

With respect to Windows Updates and the fact you ran SFC, you may need to try a Windows 7 Repair Install. You need the Windows 7 DVD to do this. Here is a Seven Forums tutorial to assist you.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html



Try the following to see if it helps:
Go to Control Panel, Internet Options, Advanced and click on Reset. See the check box (default is unchecked) that will do a full reset. Click on the box to set the option, OK out and allow the reset to take place. Restart the computer. See if that helps.

With respect to Windows Updates and the fact you ran SFC, you may need to try a Windows 7 Repair Install. You need the Windows 7 DVD to do this. Here is a Seven Forums tutorial to assist you.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html



Resetting user customizations failed on Resetting IE settings.



Any other suggestions for the Windows Update resolution? As I said I am working remotely. Thanks!
Mags



Try the Windows Repair Install as I suggested. That is about all that is left (given what you have tried).

If Repair Install does not work, you will need to back up and reinstall Windows.

You will need local access to the computer to effect the repairs above.



John I don't know how that would be possible since I do not have physical access to his computer.
What about the IE error...I've never seen that before.
Mags

Share this

Related Posts

There was an error in this gadget