AOMEI program interfering with AHK

Hi, today I downloaded a backup/restore program called AOMEI from: and immediately noticed that my favorite program "AutoHot Key" was no longer working. I went to the AHK folder, right clicked it and re-ran the script and it came back on. So I restarted the computer and the same thing happened. What it tells me is that somehow, AOMEI is killing AHK on startup.

Any ideas on what I can do to fix this? I sent AOMEI an email but no response. I picked this particular program because of it's high scores but I may have to dump it and get something else. Thanks in advance.

From: http://www.backup-utility.com/help/?adb



Hi Carlos,
I never heard of AOMEI and don't know why it is interfering with AHK. I can't help you with you AOMEI, but if you're interested in alternatives that play nicely with AHK, I can make some recommendations. But first I need to know if you want a backup/restore program that is folder/file-based (that is, backs up and restores folders/files) or one that does cloning/imaging (that is, backs up and restores whole drives and/or partitions). Btw, where did you see that AOMEI has "high scores"? Regards, Joe



Hi Carlos,
I never heard of AOMEI and don't know why it is interfering with AHK. I can't help you with you AOMEI, but if you're interested in alternatives that play nicely with AHK, I can make some recommendations. But first I need to know if you want a backup/restore program that is folder/file-based (that is, backs up and restores folders/files) or one that does cloning/imaging (that is, backs up and restores whole drives and/or partitions). Btw, where did you see that AOMEI has "high scores"? Regards, Joe



Hi Joe, I am looking for a good reliable cloning/imaging program. I spent quite a bit of time researching various programs but after checking the review on Amazon and other places I was really disappointed. Even the well known name like Norton and Acronis have terrible reviews. This web site compares twenty similar programs (some of which are free) and AOMEI was one of better ones. See here:https://www.raymond.cc/blog/10-commercial-disk-imaging-software-features-and-backuprestore-speed-comparison/

AOMEI's site:From: http://www.backup-utility.com/help/?adb

Like I say, the reviews were extremely disappointing in terms of the reliability of the product as well as the service aspect so I decided to try out a freebee and see if it would work, Had no idea there were so many free ones out there.
Hope this helps.



Carlos,

In my not-so-humble opinion, the Raymond link is all wet! I have had great success with Casper (which isn't even on their list):http://www.fssdev.com/products/casper/

It is the best cloning/imaging software I have ever used (and, of course, works perfectly on machines with AutoHotkey installed). It is absolutely reliable! It has never failed to clone properly.

It works on W7, W8, and W8.1, all in both 32-bit and 64-bit editions. I run it every evening in the wee hours (it utilizes the Windows Task Scheduler to schedule jobs) on numerous machines to clone the hard drives (a mix of HDD, SSD, and hybrid). It has an intelligent cloning mechanism so that it copies only the necessary tracks. The first run takes a while, but after that, it's extremely fast. It can clone to the same size drive or to a larger one or even to a smaller one, as long as there is enough space on the smaller one to house the used (non-free) space from the larger one.

Aside from using it every day on many computers, I have used it to clone to new drives frequently, especially to SSDs in recent years. It's not free, but it's reasonably priced and worth every penny. I'm 100% confident that you'll be satisifed with it. Btw, I used Acronis previously, but now prefer Casper.

Here's a 5-minute EE video Micro Tutorial, Cloning a Hard Drive with Casper, showing how to do it. As a disclaimer, I want to emphasize that I have no affiliation with this company and no financial interest in it whatsoever. I am simply a happy user/customer. Regards, Joe



Looks like AOMEI and AHK are using the same startup process. In Start - search pane type MSCONFIG and start the found tool.
There in section Startup see if you have AOMEI listed. If yes - uncheck it. Save changes and see if this fixes your problem.
If not then look for an alternative.
For example free backup imaging tool http://www.paragon-software.com/home/br-free/



Joe,I'm sold. btw you did an excellent video on the use of it. I just have a couple of questions for you that will help me understand the difference between cloning and imaging. I would like to have it on record here so I can refer back to it if I ever need to. You can respond by simply using the 1, 2, 3, (numbers) to make it easier.

1) When cloning, you make an identical copy of your internal hard drive on to an external one which you can use not only as a backup but (provided) you have a bootable original repair disc, you can use the external drive to reinstate your internal drive so that it's working 100% exactly as it was prior to the crash. - Two questions here, what if you just want to replace a missing folder or document which you have deleted by mistake. Can you do that? - The other is, can you disconnect the external drive and reconnect it a week later and have it pick up where it left off or would it have to make an entirely new copy?

2) When imaging you also transfer an exact copy of the internal drive on to an external one but when time comes to reinstate your computer, you have to buy and install a new internal drive before you can transfer the image back. Is this correct? That's what I read on one of the sites.

3) Lastly, I looked but could find out if the $50.00 price is for one computer or if you could use it on two. Do you happen to know?

Thanks for your help.
Carlos

Share this

Related Posts

There was an error in this gadget