Best Windows/7 Business Backup for Local and Shared folders

Hi - I have a new client who is currently using XCOPY for backup. This is a very small shop (2 workstations and a Buffalo File Share.) I am looking for a commercial product, like BackupAssist (i don't know if it will work on Windows/7 or if it is overkill.) Ideally the product would backup user data as well as the shared data on the Buffalo, provide e-mail status after each run and backup to an external hard drive. A definite plus would be if it could also backup to Dropbox. Any suggestions would be appreciated.



I've been using SyncBack from 2BrightSparks for many years:http://www.2brightsparks.com/

I started with their SE version and then moved to their Pro version. They also have a Free version. Here's a comparison table for all three versions:http://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/compare.html

I think they all can do what you're looking for (maybe even the Free one) — backup user data, backup to or from the Buffalo NAS, and backup to or from an external hard drive. I use the Pro version to do all of this. It can email the log file after a backup profile has run. In terms of Dropbox, you would use SyncBack to copy the files to the local Dropbox folder(s) and then let the Dropbox sync mechanism take it to the Dropbox cloud.

SyncBack utilizes the Windows Task Scheduler to schedule backups. I run numerous backup profiles during the day...every hour of every day...and other backups daily during the wee hours. It allows you to specify the number of versions of a file to keep, which has saved me many times. The Free version may meet your needs, but even the SE and Pro versions are reasonably priced. This is extraordinarily good software...I would not be without it!

As a disclaimer, I want to emphasize that I have no affiliation with this company and no financial interest in it whatsoever. I am simply a happy user/customer. Regards, Joe



I've been using SyncBack from 2BrightSparks for many years:http://www.2brightsparks.com/

I started with their SE version and then moved to their Pro version. They also have a Free version. Here's a comparison table for all three versions:http://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/compare.html

I think they all can do what you're looking for (maybe even the Free one) — backup user data, backup to or from the Buffalo NAS, and backup to or from an external hard drive. I use the Pro version to do all of this. It can email the log file after a backup profile has run. In terms of Dropbox, you would use SyncBack to copy the files to the local Dropbox folder(s) and then let the Dropbox sync mechanism take it to the Dropbox cloud.

SyncBack utilizes the Windows Task Scheduler to schedule backups. I run numerous backup profiles during the day...every hour of every day...and other backups daily during the wee hours. It allows you to specify the number of versions of a file to keep, which has saved me many times. The Free version may meet your needs, but even the SE and Pro versions are reasonably priced. This is extraordinarily good software...I would not be without it!

As a disclaimer, I want to emphasize that I have no affiliation with this company and no financial interest in it whatsoever. I am simply a happy user/customer. Regards, Joe



Thank you Joe - I really appreciate your input and since this is 1/10th the cost of backup assist - I think we will get the trial and see how it goes. Thank you so much for the recommendations and I am sorry you are not getting a commission - you are a hell of a salesperson.



You're welcome. Please post back here to let me know how the trial goes for you. It's important to hear that a product which works well for me also works well for others (also important to know if it doesn't). Yes, sadly, no commission here. :)



I certainly will. Because of scheduling issues I will not install until tomorrow.



Sounds good. Looking forward to hearing how it goes for you. I've had a lot of experience creating and modifying SyncBack backup profiles, and can probably help you through issues that you run into, if any. My first suggestion is to click the "Click For Options" button when the backup profile opens and select Expert, not Easy. When you do that, you'll see all of the options, like this:

Share this

Related Posts

There was an error in this gadget