Booting from multiple drives

I have a number of computers that I have collected over the years. Two of which were Windows 7-32bit systems that I abandoned, for several reasons, and built a new system. These two computers contained a number of programs for which I have no media and are no longer being supported by the software developer.

When I built my new system, I installed Windows 8.1-64bit on a 1tb HDD, designated as C:. Then I got the bright idea of installing the two Windows 7 drives as drives designated as D: and E: thinking I could just run the "antique" programs from those drives. I learned quickly that doing so is not possible.

My next bright idea is to make Drive D: and E: boot-able drives and use a boot manager to choose which system I want to use on start-up. My questions is, can this be done? If the answer is yes, how do I proceed to accomplish it? And finally, is there another solution to accomplish what I am trying to do?

Thanks for considering my question.



Have you thought about virtualisation?

Maybe VMWare workstationa nd use VMWare convertor to make the old machines run as virtual machines on your new PC?



Have you thought about virtualisation?

Maybe VMWare workstationa nd use VMWare convertor to make the old machines run as virtual machines on your new PC?



Thanks jerseysam!

I have never been exposed to visualization, though I have heard of it. Where would be a good place to start to find out if this is a viable solution?



Sorry, I meant virtualization not visualization. Darn spell checkers!



Try BootIt https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootit-bare-metal.htm

You can try for 30 days.

Give the manual a good read from here https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/downloads/bootitbm_en_manual.pdf



I would use VMWare and use the convertor and Player.

A good summary here:
http://windows.appstorm.net/how-to/virtualization/create-a-virtual-machine-from-your-old-pc/

Share this

Related Posts

There was an error in this gadget