DellXPS_Desktops...

I am thinking of buying this dekstop for general home and light software development training (i.e oracle 11g).


http://www.costco.com/Dell-XPS-8700-Desktop-%7c-Intel-Core-i7-%7c-1GB-Graphics-%7c-Windows-7-Professional.product.100131209.html

1) Do you think this is a good PC/monitor for the price and specs and reliable?


2) Even though I prefer Windows 7 for business I am concerned they stop supporting it shortly.
Do you think this can be an issue and would be better to get windows 8.1?

3) I generally buy a 3 or 4 year warranty from Dell for new machines.
Since this is sold by Costco, I doubt dell would sell it separately.

Costco will cover the normal failure for 2 years. They offer Squaretrade warranty for spills and
extending the warranty to 3 year. Do you think this is a good company for warranty?



1. That's a fair price for that type of Desktop. Have you gone to the Dell.com Websight and compared their price to this one.?

2. If you are going to be coding - Stick with the Win 7 Pro - Windows 8.1 is still not bug free for me. Every time you restart it seems to want to fix an error that you don't really have. Windows 7 pro will be around for many years.

3. Again for warranty - you can't beat their "idiot proof warranty" . I had a client that spilled wine on the laptop keyboard 4 times in 3 years and they just kept fixing it.



1. That's a fair price for that type of Desktop. Have you gone to the Dell.com Websight and compared their price to this one.?

2. If you are going to be coding - Stick with the Win 7 Pro - Windows 8.1 is still not bug free for me. Every time you restart it seems to want to fix an error that you don't really have. Windows 7 pro will be around for many years.

3. Again for warranty - you can't beat their "idiot proof warranty" . I had a client that spilled wine on the laptop keyboard 4 times in 3 years and they just kept fixing it.



sam15 --
In answer to question 1, compare the specs and prices offered by Dell here
http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-8700/pd
Is Win 7 a reason why you are attracted to this PC?

In answer to question 2, the Mainstream support for Win 7 SP1 is over today, January 13, 2015, and for extended support is over January 14, 2020. The corresponding support for Win 8.1 is three years longer.
Mainstream support and extended support are explained in detail here.
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifepolicy
However, remember that MS extended support for XP for several years over the usual life cycle time when people complained.
You may also want to read
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

In answer to question 3, I have never dealt with SquareTrade. Many years ago I bought an extended warranty on a printer, and when I needed repair, the company (I cannot remember the name) would not answer the telephone. Remember you get a two year warranty from Costco as part of the purchase price and that can be extended for free if you use the American Express card to pay.
Read this
http://www.xconomy.com/national/2013/05/03/do-you-need-an-extended-warranty-do-the-math-says-squaretrade/



Dell does not offer same machine with 32 GB RAM and Windows 7 pro.
They only have max 12 GB and Windows 8.1,
These are built specifically for costco specs. Dell would not sell them cheaper if they have them.

Does this mean Windows 7 support will go on until 2020. I am not sure if this falls under extended support or not?

I prefer Dell's direct warranty although I am not sure if they would sell that alone.

I dont have American express although I did not know they would extend the warranty for free if you use that.



sam15--
Since Dell is the builder when you order from Dell, I suspect you could order 32 GB RAM.
I gather you are partial to having Win 7, so that may seal the deal for Costco, though again, have you asked Dell if they would custom build with Win 7?
You asked "Does this mean Windows 7 support will go on until 2020. I am not sure if this falls under extended support or not?"
As I already stated "In answer to question 2, the Mainstream support for Win 7 SP1 is over today, January 13, 2015, and for extended support is over January 14, 2020" . The reference I provided
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifepolicy
shows the definition of extended support. It is a little complicated to post here.

One thing about the Costco PC that raises my curiosity is that it seems to ship with Win 7, apparently not Win 7 SP1. That makes me wonder about the age of those PC's.



okay, I read the page on support. It looks like they will continue to provide security upgrades for free but the windows support has to be paid for. I cant remember I have ever called microsoft for support anyway. Costco technical support will support everything for 2 years.

It might be Win 7 SP1 and they did not list it. In any case does no windows update do that automatically?

Also, I assume You can upgrade Windows 7 to windows 8 or does that require a complete reformat of disk and install then install the new OS?

Share this

Related Posts

There was an error in this gadget