Puppet Open Source Deployment for Windows

Hi Experts,

I am a newbie in being a DevOps and I am mostly familiar with infrastructure support and implementation.

I need to setup a puppet environment from scratch for my workplace using open source puppet.

I need inputs, guides and help in creating this environment.

I will post a series of steps that i have taken for this environment.

My main problem so far is how to use puppet opensource to push config on a group of nodes rather than waiting for the agents to pull or update from the server, I think puppet enterprise has this function, but I'm not sure if this doable in open source puppet.

Hoping for the experts to help me in this concern,

More power and thank you EE!



While there are some "hacks" to make puppet push changes to a range of hosts, it's not really meant as doing so ...

If you are looking into puppet and don't mind to introduce some open source into your network, I'd take a look at Foreman, it's a lifecycle management tool that integrates with a lot of technologies and leverages puppet. You can use that to push out changes (to groups or all), it keeps track of your servers (monitoring), it's the complete package... It's sorta like the puppet enterprise web front end, but open source. If you want to go a step further you can also take a look at katello.



While there are some "hacks" to make puppet push changes to a range of hosts, it's not really meant as doing so ...

If you are looking into puppet and don't mind to introduce some open source into your network, I'd take a look at Foreman, it's a lifecycle management tool that integrates with a lot of technologies and leverages puppet. You can use that to push out changes (to groups or all), it keeps track of your servers (monitoring), it's the complete package... It's sorta like the puppet enterprise web front end, but open source. If you want to go a step further you can also take a look at katello.



Hi spravtek,

I don't really mind adding open-source tools to my network, my main concern is efficiency, and easy tools to work with.

Can you send me links or guides in setting up foreman? I know its easy to install but handling foreman itself would be the next challenge



I'm sorry, I've seemed to completely lost track of this one ... Strange.

Anyway... Maybe by now you'll have found the website for Foreman and its documentation. This is a good place to start because it will be the most up to date... That being said, here are some other links that will help you get to grips with Foreman:
Link1
Link2

As I said, these links do not only help with installing, but also will guide you through installing a first module, which will give you an idea of what is possible using Foreman.

Again, sorry for the late reply.



hi sparvtek,

I will read on the links you have sent me.

thank you very much for the response :)



I was wondering how i can handle a number of hosts at the same time or like a "group" pushing a config from the foreman

Share this

Related Posts

There was an error in this gadget