Scheduled Task fails to launch

I am trying to get a Scheduled Task to run on a WS 2003 server. It was running successfully up until a few weeks ago. The Task executes a small VBscript file (.vbs) that resides on a network drive. At first, I thought something had gone wrong with the VBscript file - but that executes fine from my PC. The script uses XMLHTTP to execute an ASP online program that sends out email reminders to employees.
I thought the problem was the mapped drive reference (even though the server that the Task sits on has persistent mapped drive locations). But that didn't make any difference.
None of the passwords have changed either.
I'm getting an Event ID: 203 "Launch Failure" with Error Value: 2147942667. This is followed by Event ID: 103 "Run Failure" error with Error Value: 2147942667.
Any suggestions on what I can do to get this set-up as a Scheduled Task that will run successfully again?



If you're getting an error value of 2147942667, this usually indcates that there's an invalid directory path.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc774875(v=ws.10).aspx



If you're getting an error value of 2147942667, this usually indcates that there's an invalid directory path.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc774875(v=ws.10).aspx



Have you rebuilt the Task? Sometimes, I've seen one get some for of corruption and its as simple as making a new one. Also did you change anything proceeding the failure?



Thanks for the quick replies, NVIT and Lazarus. I've created a brand new Task, using the full path name (no mapped drive letters)...but still no joy - same errors.
Since the VBScript runs on my PC - I even tried setting up a Task on my Windows 7 PC. Even that crapped out with the exact same errors.
Finally, I moved the VBScript onto my DESKTOP...created a Task on my PC...and - voila! - that one runs okay. So...I don't know why it refuses to run on the server...but at least I've bought some time for myself (as long as I don't turn off my PC...LOL).
If you can think of anything else for me to test in light of this new info - please let me know.
Thanks again.



Not sure but... maybe a Trusted Locations issue? Or, antivirus/security is blocking it?



> XMLHTTP to execute an ASP online program...

Is there a way to run that on the server, separated from the code?

Maybe server firewall?

Share this

Related Posts

There was an error in this gadget