Win 8 PC closes windows user session randomly (not in a domain)

Win 8 PC closes windows user session randomly (not in a domain), 2 times per day as an average.

I checked the windows app and system logs, but I don´t find some entry that may clarify what the problem is.

I am suspicious about maybe Skype, so I have just disabled the SkypeUpdate service and stopped the Skype process to test.

Is there some way in which I can enable some level of logging for this event that might throw more info? (if it happens again, I would like to know which process is doing so and why)



Before running chkdsk, use the disk manufacturer's diagnostic utility to test it. Chkdsk only checks and fixes file-system corruptions, not the disk itself. You'll find the diags on the UBCD:
http://ultimatebootcd.com

Also run memtest86+ (also on that CD).



I have more clues about this problem...
The user is telling me that it happens sometimes when using IE, and checking the sys logs, I see some problem reading the hard disk. So, tomorrow afternoon I will pick up the PC and use Checkdisk, and disable IE addons to see if it helps.



And... check for virus



Before running chkdsk, use the disk manufacturer's diagnostic utility to test it. Chkdsk only checks and fixes file-system corruptions, not the disk itself. You'll find the diags on the UBCD:
http://ultimatebootcd.com

Also run memtest86+ (also on that CD).



Thank you rindi, I have just managed to solve the problem with checkdsk /r

It is a good idea as you said to run the disk manufacturer´s diagnostic utility first, though this computer is an old one and it has no brand (custom made), so I went directly to the checkdsk approach.

I tried as well running memtest86+, there were no issues with RAM.

Problem was some damaged sectors affecting the OS, so far it looks good.



I wasn't talking about the computer's brand, but rather the HD's brand (Western Digital, Seagate, Samsung etc).

Share this

Related Posts

There was an error in this gadget