Win8.1 upgrade stuck

I'm trying to upgrade from Win8.1 32 bit to Win8.1 64bit.

I boot from the setup dvd, the Windows logo appears for a while, then the monitor just shows the "no signal" message and nothing else happens. So far I've tried a different monitor and changing some display settings in the bios, but the same result.



you will have to use your bios options for the display.. when bios has control you see the display but when the windows pe setup program starts you don't have a display.



I'm trying to upgrade from Win8.1 32 bit to Win8.1 64bit.

Sorry. What you are trying to do cannot be done. To go from 32-bit to 64-bit means backing up, formatting, and do a fresh install of the 64-bit OS. There is no other way.



I plan to delete the partition and do a fresh install. I've done this on two other computers at my company. The 64bit setup gives me the option to delete the current partition. But on this third computer, the setup screen that gives that option does not appear.



If you delete the main partition (first two), then Setup will format and proceed. But that is a fresh install as I noted above.

I am not sure why you did not get the option to delete the partition but that is why it got stuck.

Try the setup again and do not proceed unless you can delete the main partition. Delete the main partition manually if need be and then proceed.

If this was an OEM computer, there may be a recovery partition, but a 32-bit recovery partition is not needed for 64-bit operating system. That may be confusing Setup. Delete all partitions and let Setup start fresh.



Since I cannot delete the partition during setup, how do I delete the partition? I would think that is not possible while running "inside" Windows 32bit. Do I need to make another bootup cd?



I boot from the setup dvd, the Windows logo appears for a while, then the monitor just shows the "no signal" message and nothing else happens. Do you have multiple display outputs on that computer? i.e. onboard graphics and a video card? It looks like it is using another display connection.

Share this

Related Posts

There was an error in this gadget