Windows 2003 Server w/AD, custom login.bat file.

I'm wanting to put together a login.bat file that applies If/Then to Groups, to include or exclude mappings. Not overly complex environment, just would like to control un-needed mappings.

Unless there is a better way to achieve this.

We're migrating to 2012 too, so will these changes adapt?



I have found that if my OU's are properly organized, then I just apply logon scripts for mapped drive on a per OU basis. If you want to look at groups, then you're going to need to use Visual Basic Script or Power Shell.



I have found that if my OU's are properly organized, then I just apply logon scripts for mapped drive on a per OU basis. If you want to look at groups, then you're going to need to use Visual Basic Script or Power Shell.



I wrote a VB Login script a while ago that can accomplish what you are after:



Group Policy Drive Mapping Preferences with Item level Targets to groups would solve this. It works on XP SP3 clients at above - server level does not matter.



I completely agree with Joseph on this method to map drives. Using login scripts etc to map drives is labor intensive (when modifying them) also this is a legacy way to map drives. Using GP Preferences is the new way (and very easy to manage) to map drives and do much more.

I would take a look at the below link from the Active Directory Team Blog to help provide steps to complete this process. As per OU level, you do not have to do this based on OU. Use Security Filtering for each Department Security Group and apply the permissions at the top level. Based on the groups where the users are listed they will get the mapped drives required.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askds/archive/2009/01/07/using-group-policy-preferences-to-map-drives-based-on-group-membership.aspx

Will.



@Joseph or Will; so I'm creating OU's that represent drive mappings? In the link Will provided, that's what it looks like.

Share this

Related Posts

There was an error in this gadget