Windows 8.1 Snipping Tool: Taking Snip of Pulldown Menu that Does not Stay on Screen

Hey, all.

I need to take screenshot of a pulldown menu on a web page. Problem is that the pulldown menu stays on the screen only when I hover my mouse over another (higher-level) menu choice. Accordingly, when I try to switch focus to the snipping tool, the menu I need to capture vanishes.

I know that I can pretend I'm on XP, take an old-fashioned screen shot, paste it into Paint, etc., but I'd rather leverage the snipping tool if I can. Is what I need even possible?

Thanks,
Steve



From here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/use-snipping-tool-capture-screen-shots#1TC=windows-8

Capture a snip of a menu

After you open Snipping Tool, open the menu that you want a picture of.

Press Ctrl+PrtScn.

Tap or click the arrow next to the New button, choose the kind of snip you want, and then pick the area of the screen that you want to capture.



From here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/use-snipping-tool-capture-screen-shots#1TC=windows-8

Capture a snip of a menu

After you open Snipping Tool, open the menu that you want a picture of.

Press Ctrl+PrtScn.

Tap or click the arrow next to the New button, choose the kind of snip you want, and then pick the area of the screen that you want to capture.



OK. Going through the directions step-by-step.


1. After you open Snipping Tool, open the menu that you want a picture of.
OK that worked.

2. Press Ctrl+PrtScn.
OK that worked.

3. Tap or click the arrow next to the New button, choose the kind of snip you want
Problem is that when I click NEW, the menu disappears, so I can't choose the area of the screen to capture..... Thanks.

4. and then pick the area of the screen that you want to capture.



Well, then.
Get Greenshot, press PrtScr and you'll be able to capture anything you want on the screen. Including menus that need focus.



Thanks, will keep in mind, but I'm hoping to find a way within WIndows itself to do what I need.
Does anyone else if this can be done?

Thanks,
Steve



Hi Steve,
I suppose this is what you mean by "an old-fashioned screen shot", but I simply hit the PrintScreen key when the menu is exposed and that will capture everything. I then paste it into my photo imaging software of choice (usually IrfanView or PaperPort, depending on what needs to be done) and crop it, delete or redact areas, add arrows, highlights, circles, etc. It's a lot easier to do that in a top quality photo imaging product than in the Snipping Tool — the results are well worth it if you're going to use the screenshot in a document/publication. Regards, Joe

Share this

Related Posts

There was an error in this gadget