windows 8.1 still asks for password on wakeup

Helping a friend with a Toshiba laptop, Windows 8.1 64-bit

Currently configured with a Local Account. Under Control Panel/Power Options/Require a password on wakeup/Change settings that are currently unavailable:
Don't require a password is selected.

Yet, every time the laptop wakes up from sleep, it asks for a password.

Help!



I find my machine more secure with password required.

On the Control Panel screen, where you changed the Password Option, when you allowed changes to be made: Are the shutdown settings all checked? Or are some of these unchecked.



I find my machine more secure with password required.

On the Control Panel screen, where you changed the Password Option, when you allowed changes to be made: Are the shutdown settings all checked? Or are some of these unchecked.



No, Hibernate is unchecked (just like on my PC here - if I would choose to not require a password on wakeup, I would then not be prompted).

I understand - but his laptop never leaves his home. There is a trade-off between security and convenience, and I think he's OK as is. He is a casual user, email & browsing mainly. Now, my PC and laptop both require passwords on wake-up. There is more at stake, on my machines.



You might try the following on the user's machine. This is a suggestion and I do not know if it will work.

Turn UAC OFF (Temporarily ONLY). This forces a restart. Set the user password property again. Now go back and turn UAC ON (never leave it off). This forces another restart.

Any change?



One thing is password after waking, the other is the password protected screen saver - these mechanisms might both happen at the same time. Turn off the screen saver password requirement as well.



McKnife, the SS password is not set - nor is any screen saver.

John - have not heard if that worked yet.

Share this

Related Posts

There was an error in this gadget