Windows XP Pro mysteriously reboots and opens under Administrator

I came home last week and found my comp desktop totally changed. Most my icons were gone.
After research found that it had rebooted and changed from my "XYZ" user that I use all the time to "Administrator" which I never use.
I did a roll back and it still does it for no reason like 3x a day. Just reboots under Administrator log in.
Is this a hack, virus or malware that anybody has heard about.
Never seen anything like this.



> it goes to user Administrator not the user name i use

this can be fixed this way.

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm

regarding your concerns of any hack on the compyter, you may run NETSTAT -a -n -o > s.txt to list all current network sessions into a plain text file named s.txt.

you may review the list yourself or post it here for help. you may mask your personal IP address from the list if there is any privacy concern.



One reason modern systems completely disable "administrator" is because it is so easily hacked.

First, back up your documents, email and anything else you need to another media. Do this now and first.

Second, log in and see if you can (a) see your regular user (Computer, right click, Manage, Users and Groups, Users).

Now try to create a new user and see if you can log in as the new user. What happens?



> I came home last week and found my comp desktop totally changed

do you mean your computer was always on when you were not at home? is there any possibility that someone else had accessed or touched the computer during that time?

> I did a roll back and it still does it for no reason like 3x a day

was it a successful restore? was the status (such as the disappeared desktop icons) was brought back once the restore was done?

> Is this a hack, virus or malware that anybody has heard about.

do you observe any abnormal disk or network activity when the computer is idle? e.g. the hard disk and/or NiC LEDs are always blinking when the computer is on but not running any particular frontend task?



Yes I see my regular user account and just created new user and can see it.



Yes comp was on all the time, I just now saw it happen. It just blinks screen and reboots, during reboot
it goes to user Administrator not the user name i use. I then have to switch user to bring back my desktop i use.
Problem is it reboots for no reason and then changes the user during reboot.



You could have gone to a site that used "administrator" to corrupt the profile.

You can probably save what you have by backing up as I suggested, making a new profile and setting it up. When all is working, delete the damaged profile.

Also make sure "administrator" and a very strong password with two special characters, two numerals, two upper case characters and not less than 10 characters total.

Share this

Related Posts

There was an error in this gadget