2008 DCpromo

I'm promoting a 2008 r2 server to a DC. When I try to run DCpromo, I get a message saying that it can't fins the domain controller. I have the old server (2003) NIC pointed to the ISP DNS the new Server (2008) DNS pointed to the old server that is running DNS. I have an available static IP on both servers, The old server has been working fine, I can ping it from the new server, the new server can browse.... It seems like DNS but I'm not sure where the issue really is.



is the 2003 server a domain controller? if so, why is it pointing to the ISP DNS? should be using itself for DNS
if your domain is foo.com what happens when you ping foo.com? does it reply from an address of a domain controller?

if the 2003 server is a domain controller, did you run adprep first?

Installing an Additional Domain Controller
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc733027(v=ws.10).aspx

Running Adprep.exe
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd464018(v=ws.10).aspx



is the 2003 server a domain controller? if so, why is it pointing to the ISP DNS? should be using itself for DNS
if your domain is foo.com what happens when you ping foo.com? does it reply from an address of a domain controller?

if the 2003 server is a domain controller, did you run adprep first?

Installing an Additional Domain Controller
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc733027(v=ws.10).aspx

Running Adprep.exe
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd464018(v=ws.10).aspx



Check the DCPROMO log in %systemroor%Debug folder for the exact issue



I ran a DCdiag, everything passed accept connectivity to the server??? I can ping the server via name and IP. There was a line that had said " host bunch of #'s._msdcs.domain.com could not be resolved. but the server name resolved to the correct IP" ???



So far this is what I have done.
1. I pointed the DNS from the external IP to the DC's IP. No effect either way
2. I ran a DCdiag, all areas passed except the connectivity to the DC (host) but svr resolved to correct IP???
3. When I looked at the DCpromo error logs, I noticed error 55.
4. When I ping the Domain, it resolves to an external address. Probably one of the DNS servers from the ISP.



I ended up changing the DNS order, rebooted and it worked.

Share this

Related Posts

There was an error in this gadget