Copy files while keeping Date & Time Stamp intact

I have multiple external hard drives that I have used for one reason or another. I am consolidating the various drives into one big NAS drive. That catch is I need to keep the attributes and most important the date and time stamps intact when I consolidate them onto the new drive. I know I can use xcopy from a command line but it can be tedious give the number of drives and files that have to be copied over. That is unless you have the right command syntax that allows for spaces in path names which I haven't been able to get to work.

So, I'm looking for a GUI based application that runs on Windows 7 that will allow me to copy from source to destination while keeping the attributes but more importantly the time stamp dates in tact.



regarding the time stamp you mentioned above, which date/time attribute do you refer to? Create Time, Modify Time or Access Time? they are different time stamps for the same single file.



regarding the time stamp you mentioned above, which date/time attribute do you refer to? Create Time, Modify Time or Access Time? they are different time stamps for the same single file.



...the right command syntax that allows for spaces in path names...

I didn't know xcopy doesn't allow you to copy folders with spaces in the names. Mine works fine here. Still, it doesn't address your other issue...

...to keep the attributes and most important the date and time stamps intact...

For that, you can use Robocopy with the /DCOPY:DAT switches.

By default, directory timestamps are not copied over so you need the T switch in /DCOPY:DAT

For file attribute info, you will want to look at these switches...



Which NAS device would that be? Most consumer devices have USB port for copying from external HD to a folder on the NAS. That would also be an easy way of copying all your data. After the copy you just move the files to a desired location as that does not modify timestamps.



@ bbao - I'm referring to create date. For example on some of the USB drives there are folders that contain pictures. These folders and pictures are random but due to the date they were placed on the original drive I can tell the time era for example a trip to the beach.

@NewVillageIT - I think you may be right. Windows 7's explorer sees the file names in it's explorer with spaces, I just wasn't able to create the right syntax to copy say F:usersfamilyMy PicturesTrip To Beachfiles to H:My PicturesTrip to BeachOcean City2012 etc. I will try Robocopy for the GUI and see if it helps.

@gerwinjansen - Although, I do have a NAS (FreeNas) used for backups for servers, on my home network, it was the wrong choice of words on my part. I am actually using a Seagate 3TB Bakup Plus.

All, the drives are connected to my laptop via the USB ports. I also have the other drives that were old internal drives from my old computers plugged into my other USB ports as needed. The trick is copying them to the Seagate USB Drive. So i.e. I have to copy a 250 GB drive (F:) and all it's contents keeping the create date/time the same to my new 3TB Seagate drive (H:) Sure I can cut and paste or move but it loses the date/time stamp which is what I need.



That Seagate is not a NAS, so I'd go for robocopy with the date option.

There are a few robocopy front-end gui's out there but I only use the command line. Just try one I'd say.

Share this

Related Posts

There was an error in this gadget