IIS Default Web Site

Hello,
I reckon I'll have to read up on IIS, yet to gain time, may I ask - could you add to my answers to these questions;
Why would you want to do this?
A: Having separate ports, one would be able to stop/start each site separately.

What would you gain by making this change?
A: Better control of the application I am working with.

Would it work any different?
A: My site would not be interfered by other sites using the same port.

Your comments/answers to each of these questions will be greatly appreciated.



1) You can start/stop each site separately anyway. For the record, you'll be better off giving each site a separate IP address, rather than just separate ports. If ports is all you have, that will work too.

2) I'll have to take your word for this. I can't say.

3) Your site will have to be accessed by URL:port, so that's a consideration.



1) You can start/stop each site separately anyway. For the record, you'll be better off giving each site a separate IP address, rather than just separate ports. If ports is all you have, that will work too.

2) I'll have to take your word for this. I can't say.

3) Your site will have to be accessed by URL:port, so that's a consideration.



Ok so you can simply use host headers to avoid needing either extra IPs or ports:info on configuring host headers:https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753195%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

This allows you a lot of flexibility and leaves less to manage, the only challenge would be SSL bindings:If you are at iis8 or greater SNI is your friend:https://www.digicert.com/ssl-support/ssl-host-headers-iis-8.htm



Paul, thank you for your response. My co-worker stated that by having separate ports that I could stop/start each site separately. I have not worked with IIS. I'll have to read up on this.
Control? i could not think of any other benefit.



becraig let me read up on the links you provided, thanks



You get no more control by using different ports to separate your sites than you would if you used different IPs to differentiate your sites, and IPs are easier to deal with (albeit potentially more expensive).

Share this

Related Posts

There was an error in this gadget